Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just received my new helmet, a Lazer Z1, Matte Black in the mail and have already lightly banged it against a white painted wall by accident leaving a white mark on it. Any advice on how to remove said mark?

Also maybe I was expecting more from my first high end helmet, its nice but I'm not all that impressed with it when compared to my $40.00 Bell. I am probably going to keep it, just a thought for others.

·
Registered
27,471 Posts
Just received my new helmet, a Lazer Z1, Matte Black in the mail and have already lightly banged it against a white painted wall by accident leaving a white mark on it. Any advice on how to remove said mark?

Also maybe I was expecting more from my first high end helmet, its nice but I'm not all that impressed with it when compared to my $40.00 Bell. I am probably going to keep it, just a thought for others.
Look at it this way: your prize will at some point do what it's intended, break. Then it will no longer serve it's function and be tossed in the trash. Helmets are like socks or gloves. They have limited lifetimes. So enjoy the best while you have it! :thumbsup: Black? Magic Markers or Sharpie will paint over blemishes if it don't clean up. :D

Look for cracks. :shocked:

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,410 Posts
Look at it this way: your prize will at some point do what it's intended, break. Then it will no longer serve it's function and be tossed in the trash. Helmets are like socks or gloves. They have limited lifetimes. So enjoy the best while you have it! :thumbsup: Black? Magic Markers or Sharpie will paint over blemishes if it don't clean up. :D

Look for cracks. :shocked:

Especially look for cracks in the foam. Toss it if you find any.

·
Registered
20,727 Posts
or perhaps lightly rub with a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser soaked with water.
Be careful with a magic eraser on a matte surface. It might leave worse marks.

Be careful with a magic eraser on glossy surfaces as well. I had a friend who tried to clean the side of a refrigerator with a magic eraser. Ruined the whole side with swirl marks. While they feel soft, magic erasers are pretty abrasive like a fine sandpaper. The particles are almost hard as glass.

·
Registered
11,088 Posts
I always employ a phased approach at cleaning stuff...

first, just warm water and a rag. if that fails, add a little soap.

if still not satisfied, try various household agents...vinegar, baking soda remove a lot of stuff. Goo-Gone is pretty benign too...

last resort is some type of mild abrasives...a very well-used scotchbrite pad sometimes works without damaging the surface. but, don't use any gorilla pressure, just lightly buff for a second or two and check results.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Personally, I'd put it on my head and not look at it - maybe give it a rub with a wet cloth. But I wouldn't have bought a matte-finish helmet, or a $250 helmet, in the first place.

I reached your conclusion that the extreme high end of helmets are not worth the premium price a long time ago. Fredrico says "enjoy the best", but for me a $250 helmet couldn't conceivably provide 2 1/2 times the enjoyment of a $100 one. I've never spent more than that on a helmet, and every one has been acceptable. Seems to me that you're paying a lot extra for flashy looks and no appreciable improvement in function.

But, diff'rent strokes. I don't have a $4000 bicycle, either, (or a $2000 one, for that matter) so I'm an outlier here.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,410 Posts
Personally, I'd put it on my head and not look at it - maybe give it a rub with a wet cloth. But I wouldn't have bought a matte-finish helmet, or a $250 helmet, in the first place.

I reached your conclusion that the extreme high end of helmets are not worth the premium price a long time ago. Fredrico says "enjoy the best", but for me a $250 helmet couldn't conceivably provide 2 1/2 times the enjoyment of a $100 one. I've never spent more than that on a helmet, and every one has been acceptable. Seems to me that you're paying a lot extra for flashy looks and no appreciable improvement in function.

But, diff'rent strokes. I don't have a $4000 bicycle, either, (or a $2000 one, for that matter) so I'm an outlier here.

And I can say that I have never spent more than $70 on a helmet. As long as it is comfortable, highly visible and protects my head, it's good enough. And I do have a $2,000 bike.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts

I reached your conclusion that the extreme high end of helmets are not worth the premium price a long time ago. Fredrico says "enjoy the best", but for me a $250 helmet couldn't conceivably provide 2 1/2 times the enjoyment of a $100 one. I've never spent more than that on a helmet, and every one has been acceptable. Seems to me that you're paying a lot extra for flashy looks and no appreciable improvement in function. .
yeah i busted my helmet a coupel days ago - whacked the rocks on teh ground against my skull. So went helmet shopping yesterday. Really liked the idea of the Kask Infinity. nice plastic sliding vent to keep out rain and make it .01% more aero, LOL. Must have cost them maybe ten cents extra to engineer and manufacture that plastic slide. Price on the helmet was on sale - only $300, reg $400!!! for a piece of foam, with a little bit of plastic on top

outrageous.

I bought a mid level helmet like I had before for $100. Which I also see as barely different than a $40 helmet (or a $400 helmet!)

·
Registered
27,471 Posts

I was being facetious. :)

Under $100. will get a clunky, ill-fitting helmet, and if you have a big or small head, forget it, they only come in one size. The ones priced above $100. come in sizes, so for us eggheads, are the only ones that fit. They're also a bit lighter, usually; a tad more aero; the straps fit a little bit better, and they aren't so clunky looking.

But still can't see investing in a $300 helmet that is designed to self destruct in the first crash. I have a backup Giro Pneumo that I had to start using after breaking the nice Giro Atmos about a year after I forked over $120 for it, on sale. :frown2: When the Pneumo breaks, I'll replace it with something under $100., on sale! :D

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Under $100. will get a clunky, ill-fitting helmet, and if you have a big or small head, forget it, they only come in one size. The ones priced above $100. come in sizes, so for us eggheads, are the only ones that fit. They're also a bit lighter, usually; a tad more aero; the straps fit a little bit better, and they aren't so clunky looking.
That has not remotely been my experience. And as for cheaper helmets coming in only one size, that's simply not true except at the very low end. Most helmets in the 50-100 range come in 3 or 4 sizes.

But at least we agree on the $300 thing ;-}

·
Registered
11,088 Posts
after investing $4500+ in a bike, a helmet costing $150 is chump change.

cheaping out on a hobby which supposedly brings one enjoyment seems silly...

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
after investing $4500+ in a bike, a helmet costing $150 is chump change.

cheaping out on a hobby which supposedly brings one enjoyment seems silly...
Diff'rent strokes . . . I get your point, but we have different priorities.

I enjoy the hobby immensely, but I don't have a $4500 bike and don't need one to get that enjoyment. And I don't consider it cheaping out to spend as much as I need to to get an accessory that functions and looks as well as I want it to, but not spend more for no additional benefit (to me). The extra 150 bucks can go to something that I or my family do benefit from.

But I grant your point. I've made the same point when riders don't want to spend 8 bucks on a tube of Phil Wood grease to overhaul the hubs on their $1000 wheels, and buy a big tub of marine grease instead. We all have our little quirks. I just don't see the extra value in high-end helmets, when the middling ones work so well (for me).

edit: 16k, I apologize for hijacking your thread and offering only my snarky opinions instead of useful advice. I hope you can find a way to get your new helmet cleaned up.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Be careful with a magic eraser on a matte surface. It might leave worse marks.

Be careful with a magic eraser on glossy surfaces as well. I had a friend who tried to clean the side of a refrigerator with a magic eraser. Ruined the whole side with swirl marks. While they feel soft, magic erasers are pretty abrasive like a fine sandpaper. The particles are almost hard as glass.
That's true. I totally f**ked up our ceasarstone counter with a Mr Clean
Magic Eraser.

·
Registered
27,471 Posts
That has not remotely been my experience. And as for cheaper helmets coming in only one size, that's simply not true except at the very low end. Most helmets in the 50-100 range come in 3 or 4 sizes.

But at least we agree on the $300 thing ;-}
Well, also I'm basing my experience from several years ago. The cheaper helmets must be getting better.

I often wondered how that $200 helmet just felt better on my Neanderthal head than the $50. ones. The foam would be denser, so the helmet could be lighter, gossamer, making the subtle statement of "speed!" The cheaper helmets looked clunky, or rather clumpy, lower grade more porous foam, flexy shells. They didn't look racy.

But you're right, the mid-level ones, sometimes on sale for $59-89. do come in S-M-L and would fit any head reasonably well.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Well, also I'm basing my experience from several years ago. The cheaper helmets must be getting better.

I often wondered how that $200 helmet just felt better on my Neanderthal head than the $50. ones. The foam would be denser, so the helmet could be lighter, gossamer, making the subtle statement of "speed!" The cheaper helmets looked clunky, or rather clumpy, lower grade more porous foam, flexy shells. They didn't look racy.

But you're right, the mid-level ones, sometimes on sale for $59-89. do come in S-M-L and would fit any head reasonably well.
They are getting better. There seems to be significant trickle-down effect, with the features that first appear on the expensive ones soon showing up on the others. I just bought a Bell Overdrive, which lists for about $100 but I got on sale for $60 (that happens a lot, as you noted). I'm really impressed with the fit system and looks of it.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
I think you're just down on the helmet because of the scuff. Surely the Z1 has to weigh less than your $40 Bell.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts