Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all... real basic question here... my rudy project helmet strap was shredding a little at the tip near the fastening clip. i had to tighten it and now the helmet strap is almost choking me. :p is there any way to replace helmet straps?

i'd hate to buy a new @#$ helmet b/c the strap is too short. thanks!

· Registered
491 Posts
I just melted the ends with a soldering iron. Once the fibers are all melted together at the tip, they're not likely to fray. This won't shorten the strap since you're only melting like 1/2 a millimeter.

· Registered
6,422 Posts
How?

nyer6 said:
hey all... real basic question here... my rudy project helmet strap was shredding a little at the tip near the fastening clip. i had to tighten it and now the helmet strap is almost choking me. :p is there any way to replace helmet straps?

i'd hate to buy a new @#$ helmet b/c the strap is too short. thanks!
How old is that helmet? I have to think, if the straps are coming apart, you're probably due for a replacement anyway.

· I Type, Therefore I Am
1,842 Posts
I just use a lighter, not a soldering iron. Same effect. It melts the loose fibers together and keeps them from fraying. This works with any poly strapping or rope.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.