Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Never Give Up!
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody ever tried replacing/changing their helmet staps?

I like the straps that are on my LG helmet (soft and very comfy) but don't really like the fit.

I like the fit of my BELL helmet but don't like the straps. The straps are some what harder like they have been coated with something and just simply feel stiff.

So I was wondering if the staps can be changed and if so has any body ever done this before?

· Registered
3,126 Posts
The Bell helmets I have have the strap attachment lug fused into the shell. Doubtful it can be replaced easily. One of my helmets has seen plenty of use and the straps are pretty discolored from the sunscreen. That helmet is due for replacement.

· Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
You can rather easily clean the straps. Put some very hot water & Dawn dish washing liquid in a bowl or pan. Set the helmet on top so the straps dangle in the water. Let it soak for awhile, then scrub the straps with a nail brush or similar, rinse & you're done.
You might also try full strength Simple Green, too. Most of the gunk on the straps is grease from sunscreen or skin pores/sweat.

· Registered
792 Posts
I have an LG Robota helmet and the straps are replaceable. I think I took off a piece of the padding and found a part that lifted out. It allows you to change the angle of the strap on the back of your head. Nice touch actually.
That said, I just brought my robota back to the shop to have it warrantied. Said strap snapped in half when I was tightening it. Awesome.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.