Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a new helmet but don't know what to get. I have a very thin head and look awfull in most helmets b/c they bulge out a lot. Right now I have a Bell Alchera and hate it b/c it is uncomfortable and ugly. I ride a lot (150-200 miles a week) and want a comfortable helmet that also looks good. My main concern with a helmet is looks and fit b/c I am a very cautious rider who doesn't crash to much. Does anyone have ay suggestions for a nice looking helmet that could accomadate my head shape????

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I put a vote in for the Lazer Genesis. I have a long and narrow head and this is the only helment that I have found that fits me. All of the other ones have a lot of space on hte side where I don't feel like the helmet is snug enough. The Genesis has a retention system with a little wheel on the top rear of the helmet that tightens the helmet. It 's by far the most comfy helmet I have ever worn.

·
trying to HTFU...
1,910 Posts
keep test-fitting until you find one that's comfy.
like creaky sez, they all look dorky.

if looks are your main concern, think about how
stupid you'll look on a respirator after that car/truck
clips you from behind, or after that suicidal squirrel
endos you, or after that huge rottweiler rips your leg
and you fall on your beautiful, but under-protected head. ;-)

seriously, keep trying to find one you like and wear it;
at least you're trying to find one you like. that's a lot
better than Not wearing one at all. some people never
learn...

·
Yo no fui.
8,486 Posts
Go to a high end bike shop.

Buy a nice helmet, probably $100+.

Only buy one that feels very good. Even a small problem will be exacerbated over time.

Wear it. Everything else will solve itself.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
... I've always been a fan of MET lids... mainly cuz they're so rare in the US (MET refuses to submit their products for certification, not because of poor quality but because the Italian company is not interested in the US market and possible litigations)...

Can't do anything about your "thinheadedness" but at least folks will ask you where you got your MET (I gets mine from the UK)!

·
Yo no fui.
8,486 Posts
Akirasho said:
... I've always been a fan of MET lids... mainly cuz they're so rare in the US (MET refuses to submit their products for certification, not because of poor quality but because the Italian company is not interested in the US market and possible litigations)...

Can't do anything about your "thinheadedness" but at least folks will ask you where you got your MET (I gets mine from the UK)!
Do they fit like a Giro or a Bell?

http://www.met-helmets.com/home.jsp

·
In dog years, I'm dead.
123 Posts
davas said:
I am looking for a new helmet but don't know what to get. I have a very thin head.....
You're looking at this all wrong - what you need to figure out is how to fatten your head. I suggest collagen injections. With a little creativity & a plastic surgeon who is willing to think outside of the box, you should be able to craft your head not only by size, but also by shape. Just think - you could be the first on your block to have a head shaped like a football, or a star, or a croisant. Of course you need to keep in mind what shapes will look best in a helmet.

Perhaps a perfectly round sphere would be best - especailly if you shave your head. Then you could find a tatoo artist to do a globe motif. Make sure you do the fattening first, & then the tatoos. Otherwise, you could end up with North America being stretched all out of proportion.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I just returned a Bell Alchera because the thing was enormous. I ended up getting a Bell Furio instead and it seems to have a much lower profile. You will probably find that more expensive helmets aren't as bulky, so if you're really self-conscious about it, be prepared to spend some money.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.