Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
wasn't sure if this thread should have gone under clothing so I settled on general. so since most or all of my riding will be road form now on I figured i'd invest in some sort of head protection. just saw this one in dick's and it seemed to fit well, for the 6 seconds I had it on. and the price seemed reasonable. any thoughts??

Giro Revel Helmet

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
If you like the way it fits, and you like the way it looks on you, that's all you need to know. All helmets have to meet certain safety standards, so it's not any less safe than a more expensive helmet. You could spend more (some people spend a LOT more), and for that you get maybe a little lighter weight (irrelevant to you), sometimes a little better ventilation (this one looks fine, though), and maybe some style points that would only be noticed by a few fanatics. So, no downside if you like it. Giro is a totally reputable brand.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it seems to fit ok. I don't have much basis for comparison as this is one of maybe 2 or 3 I've tried on. as for how it looks on me.... well really, who cares. to some, i'm sure i'll look like a bike herb. as far as the visor I do believe ot is removable. and I figure for this price I cant go wrong. in the future if I become more serious about road riding and protecting my brains I can always look for something a bit more ........ fashionable? safe? aerodynamic? thanks.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
If you like the way it fits, and you like the way it looks on you, that's all you need to know. All helmets have to meet certain safety standards, so it's not any less safe than a more expensive helmet. You could spend more (some people spend a LOT more), and for that you get maybe a little lighter weight (irrelevant to you), sometimes a little better ventilation (this one looks fine, though), and maybe some style points that would only be noticed by a few fanatics. So, no downside if you like it. Giro is a totally reputable brand.
^^^ what he said.

And the only person that cares is you, nobody else.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
I've used Bell helmets from Walmart. Somehow they fit me better than most.

·
Registered
4,975 Posts
I think visors suck for road riding if you tuck much. They get in your line of sight when in that position. It probably comes off though.
^^^^^ Yeah. If you really start to ride you will get a more aero position and that visor will be an annoyance. Just make sure it comes off and take it off.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
those visors are removable
can put it one when you mountain bike

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I actually saw a bell that looked nice, in TJ Maxx for like 15 bucks but when I went back it was gone. I think this one is all I need to "get started".

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
For entry level, how it fits is all that really matters. After that, you pay more for weight savings and more ventilation openings, etc.

About fit, if you wear a headband/bandana when you ride like I do here in FL, be sure to allow room for it when you try helmets without the headband/bandana actually on your head. Sizes are adjustable within a range, so don't buy one that it at the upper level of the adjustment range if you need more room for headbands, etc. For me, I could usually wear a Medium in most helmets, but buy a Large to give room for bandanas, etc.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts