Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of you ride without a helmet from time to time? I do. It feels great to cruse around without a lid on hot days. I use my helmet 90% of the time, especially if I'm in a group or have fast descents in a planned ride. Please, no flames from the safety committee.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I ride helmet less around my neighborhood (20 mph streets). If I go out on the "road" I always wear a helmet. I'm like you 90% of the time I've got a brain bucket on. My Club also requires helmets on all club rides. I actually caught flack from my brother Sunday for making my son put his helmet on. Ahh well, can't please all the people all the time, and can only please some of the people some of the time.

·
Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
I'd say that I am virtually 100% a helmeted rider, but every once in a great while I take off the helmet. Usually when I'm really hot, tired, and doing a long(ish) climb or just riding slowly on the flats.

In my 2,250 miles this year, I've done that exactly 1 time for about 5 miles, and it was at the end of a hot and hard 67 mile ride.

For me the helmet has become habit like a seatbelt. I don't feel right without them typically. I have no moral issues with folks that go without.

·
Yo no fui.
8,486 Posts
I commute without a helmet a lot. In the winter, I normally ride with a beanie and this past year, that has somehow transfered into riding with a cycling cap. I always wear the helmet on a big ride, but I seem to not wear it a lot on the daily 30-mile commute. For some reason, however, I always wear a helmet when on a trail on my mountain bike .

G

·
I take mine off periodically when riding by myself and its hot or sometimes when its cold. A winter hat isn't always that comfortable under a helmet.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
sometimes when i comute...
never worn one on a cruiser

often get my chopps busted when i don't. One of our teams founders has a good line...
"If you don't know you need a helmet, you probably don't."

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
I usually wear my cone of smugness when I ride alone.

·
Adventure Seeker
5,123 Posts
Even close to the house, accidents do happen. However, I've survived 38 years without a helmet, as did millions before me. When I ride with my daughter and sometimes my local loop - no helmet. When I go down the highway, always a helmet.

·
Captain Obvious
11,956 Posts
i always wear a helmet. it's to the point that if feels odd being on a bike without one. growing up i never wore one.

i'd feel safer mountain biking without a helmet than commuting without one.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
I went down at about 5 mph once with a helmet on but still managed to hit my head on something below the helmet behind my ear. Minor concussion. That was quite a lesson. I don't even ride out of my driveway now without a helmet. The ol' melons too easy to damage.

·
Registered
382 Posts
always on the road-bike.. training, group rides, commuting, when wearing the cycling kit.. but never on the fixie running errands in street clothes. I hate the inconvenience of having to deal with the helmet after locking up the bike. Although I feel stupid guilty when I ride helmetless.

The only time I cracked a helmet is doing an endo on the MTB.. haven't been on the trail since.

·
Registered
603 Posts
After a while, it feels weird to ride without a helmet, so I pretty much always wear one. I think about the only time I don't, and this has happened only a couple of times usually in the spring when I've just started biking again, is when I head out and forget my helmet. I'm not concerned enough to spend 15 minutes going back to get it, unless I'm riding with a fast group or something.

...don't have a problem with other people who don't wear a helmet, though. As long as it only hurts them, they're free to do as they please. (Though I think it's good to make children wear helmets, even if nothing else than getting them used to it for when they're older) I'm more concerned about people who wear headphones making a sudden turn in front of me...that creeps me out...

·
Looking for my Amish Love
948 Posts
The helmet-snob is quite an American creation. When I rode in Belgium this summer, I'd say a good 90% of the riders were helmet-less. The only time I saw racers w/ helmets is during a race where they are required, otherwise it was total Euro-snob cycling cap.

I wear a helmet on long group rides or races, but if I'm tooling around by myself on an easy day I go without helmet, just cycling cap.

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
Peanya said:
However, I've survived 38 years without a helmet, as did millions before me.
To put it in perspective, over the years there have been very few professional cyclists killed despite the fact that almost none of them wear helmets when training, even to this day, and only started wearing them in races a few years ago.

It's no doubt a good thing to have a helmet on if you crash or get hit by a car and you hit your head, and the impact is great enough that having a helmet on afforded necessary protection but not so great that having the helmet on becomes meaningless.

It's just that this is exceedingly rare.

·
Registered
382 Posts
capt_phun said:
The helmet-snob is quite an American creation. When I rode in Belgium this summer, I'd say a good 90% of the riders were helmet-less. The only time I saw racers w/ helmets is during a race where they are required, otherwise it was total Euro-snob cycling cap.

I wear a helmet on long group rides or races, but if I'm tooling around by myself on an easy day I go without helmet, just cycling cap.
Ya.. I've heard much the same thing from others. I've always wondered how things play out statistically between us helmeted Americans and the Euro riders.

1 - 20 of 131 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.