Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Searched the forum but don't find too many relevant posts.

Anyway, don't laugh, but I've tried quite a few L sized helmets but they just don't fit. The Giro Atmos just fits on the left and right, but there's quite a bit of room between the helmet and my forehead. Local Performance bike store's manager said most companies don't make enough helmets for "smart" people (very kind of him to put it that way).

Also, any recommendations on stores (any stores) that have good selection of helmets to try out? I'm in Chicago area. Hell I'll even drive to other nearby states if they have one that fit me.

·
Banned
2,834 Posts
Punamo said:

Anyway, don't laugh, but I've tried quite a few L sized helmets but they just don't fit. The Giro Atmos just fits on the left and right, but there's quite a bit of room between the helmet and my forehead. Local Performance bike store's manager said most companies don't make enough helmets for "smart" people (very kind of him to put it that way).

Also, any recommendations on stores (any stores) that have good selection of helmets to try out? I'm in Chicago area. Hell I'll even drive to other nearby states if they have one that fit me.
Look in to the bell sweep and Ghisallo. I currently have a Giro, and it dosen't fit me very well, but such is life.

·
wut?
14,590 Posts
I know Bell used to make a huge helmet called the Bell Kinghead. Not very cool looking at all...

·
Registered
191 Posts
The Bell Sweep and X-ray large fit my big head perfectly. Other brands are too egg-shaped and squeeze on the sides, but loose in front/back. Bell seems to be a bit more round and adjusts perfectly with the little knob on the back.

mg

·
Every little counts...
3,924 Posts
We've spec'd CatEye Kompact Pro for our team. The L/XL fits me (large brain) much better than a Giro ever did.

·
Registered
203 Posts
The Kinghead may have been discontinued unfortunately. The Bell Sequoia is the replacement for the Kinghead (though you can still find the latter for sale if you Google for it). I have one of each and the Kinghead is really huge (at some point I'll figure out how to use the supplemental stick on foam blocks and fit it properly). The Sequoia seems a bit smaller but is big enough to fit my size 7 7/8 cranium with some room left over for an insulated skull cap in the winter. The Giro Atlas II is also supposed to be larger than typical helmets.

Nashbar and REI sell the Sequoia, last time I checked. Also, none of these helmets are going to give you that OCP look (especially the Kinghead), in case that matters.

The Bicycle Helmet Safety Institute has an article on helmets for big heads here.

·
Still On Steel
2,391 Posts
Bells work for me.

In fitted baseball caps, I wear a size 8, which I think is about as big as is normally made (anything larger than 7-3/4 is typically hard to find at sporting goods stores). I've always bought regular Bell helmets in size L and found that they fit fine.

Head shape factors into it. Giro size L helmets will go onto my head, but they just don't feel right. But I've had four or five Bells and they've all fit great.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Just an underscore of what's already been said. I have a large head too (7 3/4") and have both a Giro Pneumo and Bell Sweep. The Pneumo fits me just like you describe, front and back but no sides. It's frankly rather uncomfortable so I use it in the winter time with a thick cap under it (barely fits but gets me by). The Bell and also Specialized line fit evenly around my head. Either the Bell or Specialized are good helmets. I'd love to have another Sweep.

·
Growing Older, Not Up
1,318 Posts
I had a Bell Sequoia. It fit fine but was ugly. I crashed it on my MTB and recently replaced it with a Limar 505 from Nashbar for around $35. It fits just as well and is prettier. :cool:

·
rock n rolling resistance
851 Posts
Punamo said:
The Giro Atmos just fits on the left and right, but there's quite a bit of room between the helmet and my forehead.

If Atmos fits you that way Bell Ghisallo will be worse meaning even more room front and back.

Atmo fits my big head the best thus far... Ghisallo is a bigger helmet; fits good on the sides but too much room front and back for me.

Have you tried Spokes in wheaton? They are known to carry a lots of stuff but couldn't tell you what kinda helmet selections they have though...

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
Most L/XL Bells fit my 7 7/8 head, No Giros, no 'unisize'

I think the Bell Kinghead is dead, as somebody else said. I'm a solid 7 7/8, an 8 in some hats, and I can wear most "sized" Bells in L/XL (but not the one-size-fits-all models). Sounds like you may have a differently-shaped head, too. That's what sizing pads are for, and you can stack them in there or glue in a piece of foam to take up the slack at the forehead.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for your advice so far (keep them coming). Hopefully my head shape is not too far from the norm (my brother's friends call him ET, and my head does look a bit like his). Now I just have to look for a store with enough helmets in stock...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Go Red is Right

I agree with the French guy. I have a 7 7/8 (61 cm), and a L Bell Sweep should work like a charm. And I would be willing to be that Chicago has at least 5 Bell retailers laying around.

·
Parlee fan!
747 Posts
Limar

Punamo said:

Try Limar. They have a helmet called "The Big One." The size on this is 59-63 or an XL equivalent. I actually have problems picking out helmets because of my head size as well. Limar fits me well. I've been using Limar since 1998. For me, the LG/XL fits well. This is 59-62. I can't find a dealer that sells "The Big One" here in the US. However, give the LG/XL a try. Nashbar is having a tremendous deal on LIMAR.

The Marketing manager of the US distributor is an RBR member. He helped me out with a crash replacement. If you ask me, Limars are great helmets especially for "smart" people. :)

Check it out!

NASHBAR LIMAR HELMET DEALS

Ride Safely,
Joe

·
Registered
73 Posts
Try Limar.

They have been the most comfortable for me. You can sometimes find the Limar 707 (or some number like that) road helmet on sale at Performance or Nashbar for $60 or $70.

·
i like whiskey
8,405 Posts
Ditto Limar

santosjep said:
Try Limar. They have a helmet called "The Big One." The size on this is 59-63 or an XL equivalent. I actually have problems picking out helmets because of my head size as well. Limar fits me well. I've been using Limar since 1998. For me, the LG/XL fits well. This is 59-62. I can't find a dealer that sells "The Big One" here in the US. However, give the LG/XL a try. Nashbar is having a tremendous deal on LIMAR.

The Marketing manager of the US distributor is an RBR member. He helped me out with a crash replacement. If you ask me, Limars are great helmets especially for "smart" people. :)

Check it out!

QUOTE]

The Limar 705 for $35 is the best deal going on a helmet. I wear an L/XL and it fits perfectly. Bell's also fit me well, and Giro's have never worked for me, if that gives you any indication of my melon shape. If you buy it and don't like it, I'll buy it from you. I can always use a backup, esp. for that price.

·
Registered
3 Posts
i was thinking on getting a giro atmos, but becuse of my big head i couldn´t get it fo fitt right. so i tried a met stratevarius 2, and it was as it was made for me. so my vote is on that helmet

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
JensW said:
i was thinking on getting a giro atmos, but becuse of my big head i couldn´t get it fo fitt right. so i tried a met stratevarius 2, and it was as it was made for me. so my vote is on that helmet
Are you in US? I got this http://www.met-helmets.com/rivenditori/Distributori.jsp?zona=8
So I think people in the US are out of luck.

I did try some helmets today, got 3 that fit ok (Bell Triton, Furio, and Sweep R) and came back with some questions. If I tighen the strap, all of the 3 had some pressure points at one spot or another, is this normal, and will this cause problems for longer rides (more than 3 hours)?

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Punamo said:
I did try some helmets today, got 3 that fit ok (Bell Triton, Furio, and Sweep R) and came back with some questions. If I tighen the strap, all of the 3 had some pressure points at one spot or another, is this normal, and will this cause problems for longer rides (more than 3 hours)?
I guess it depends on how tight you have the straps. Mine have about an inch between the strap and my chin if I pull it down with one hand. It needs to stay on and not roll around if impacted. Beyond that, having it tighter won't help.

If you mean pressure points around the circumference of your head, then that different. That's the place that the shape is different from Giro to Bell discussed above.

·
Registered
203 Posts
santosjep said:

Check it out!

Ride Safely,
Joe
Does anyone know if all the Limar L/XL helmets are the same size? I was looking at the 909 which is spec'ed at 59-62 but some of the lower-end ones look like they may only go up to 60 or 61cm. But then again Nashbar's product descriptions aren't the most reliable in the world, so that could be a misprint. I'd get the 909 but the only color choice listed is "Team Navigator" and I have no idea what that looks like.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts