Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you will recognize, this follows a thread I posted a few days ago about clothing. That proved so successful, seriously and thanks for all of that) that I decided to try this one. Now the confession: I have never had a helmet. I hate to wear hats, caps, sweat bands - I hate 'em. However, I understand the safety thing and am starting to ride a lot around town. So I am looking into it. I was at my LBS and the owner gave me an education about helmets. From the $30 models to the inner framed, high air flow models at $130 - $160. So, not knowing the answer and not inclined to buy a $30 model and a $160 model and do my own research to find the answer, thought fondly of you guys and hoped once again that you could steer me in the right direction, that is, to give me your own experiences and give me the good advice. Oh, I am riding around 200 miles a week but nothing more than a 3 hour ride at any one time although I would like to up that single ride time. I ride in Plano-Dallas so it is hot. Thanks a bunch guys, Stamp
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
15,996 Posts
I started with a $30 helmet (maybe it was $45) -- a pretty basic Giro -- and went with it for a full season, then got a $180 helmet (though I paid $100). Forehead-slapper on temperature difference in the sun.

Both are going to protect your head just as well, but the vents definitely help. I think the Bell Sweep (had one, crashed it) is one of the best price / airflow out there; like $90 on eBay and every bit as cool -- temperature-wise -- as the Atmos.
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
15,996 Posts
Yeah, if you can get a Sweep for 60 bucks I'd jump on it. Is that at an LBS? They retail for $125 or so!

I don't wear a sweat band, but I don't sweat very much -- part of the reason ventilation is important to me, actually, since sweat is cooling and all. I had a race a while back that was 100 miles in the desert heat, I must have drank 8 water bottles, and dumped 10 more over my head!
 

· Registered
Joined
·
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
rats

Checked in with my local and the sweep turned out to be the slant. I mistook because I was also looking at the solar that day. So you have to be careful with Bell, those names, just remember the prices, if its too good to be true... By the way, is a white helmet cooler than a black one?
 

· SoCal--S Beach to the Dam
Joined
·
1,032 Posts
stamp adams said:
As some of you will recognize, this follows a thread I posted a few days ago about clothing. That proved so successful, seriously and thanks for all of that) that I decided to try this one. Now the confession: I have never had a helmet. I hate to wear hats, caps, sweat bands - I hate 'em. However, I understand the safety thing and am starting to ride a lot around town. So I am looking into it. I was at my LBS and the owner gave me an education about helmets. From the $30 models to the inner framed, high air flow models at $130 - $160. So, not knowing the answer and not inclined to buy a $30 model and a $160 model and do my own research to find the answer, thought fondly of you guys and hoped once again that you could steer me in the right direction, that is, to give me your own experiences and give me the good advice. Oh, I am riding around 200 miles a week but nothing more than a 3 hour ride at any one time although I would like to up that single ride time. I ride in Plano-Dallas so it is hot. Thanks a bunch guys, Stamp
Did you try the search as there must be well over 100 threads on this. You answered your own question,Dallas,hot,high air flow.
 

· You're Not the Boss of Me
Joined
·
7,749 Posts
Yup. Main difference with pricey helmets is weight and vents. There are sales a LOT, so never pay full price for a high-end helmet, if you go that way, and there are some nicely vented models started at the $60 price point or so.

Also, trends change. The "great thang" between 2002-2004 or so, the Ghisallo, used to be $150. Now you see 'em all the time for under $100, and folks are talking about a different "great thang."
 

· Registered
Joined
·
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Shokhead, yeah, I did try the search and perused the forums for about an hour thinking that there must be a 100 threads on this. However my perusing General and Beginners w/o success and finding nothing when I tried the search, just wrote the thread. My point is that I am relatively new here so suggestions on how to use the Search (I entered "helmets") would be greatly appreciated. I have never had success with using the Search. Thanks for any help, Stamp.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
777 Posts
Hype - Anything said by the helmet manufacturers.

Real - Your head, and how the helmet fits it and feels on it.

Sorry, but recommending helmets (and shoes, and saddles, and handlebars) is kind of like recommending underwear. Very personal, kinda gross, and not at all useful.

--Shannon
 

· Registered
Joined
·
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Shannon,

You couldn't be more wrong. Here, your advice is that there is no difference between the $25 and the $225 model. It is all about fit. This is a very valuable piece of information for someone on a budget and who has never before purchased a helmet.

Others suggest there is another big factor - airflow, especially in hot climates. Snce I am in Texas, this is a concern.

Finally, I have information on how to save money on the model I choose.

When I think of the time saved and the money saved listening to the opinions of those with experience in clothing - well all I can do is say thank you, thank you thank you. And I haven't been disappointed in following the collected wisdom of my more experienced riders not once.

The result of your opinion and the opinion of the others responding to this thread lead me to a Bell, high flow helmet that fits my head, cost $45.00 from an on-line store, is of color rather than black due to safety concerns (easier to see). I can use this same example for the clothing that I have purchased because of that thread. Thanks for your input, Stamp
 

· Registered
Joined
·
107 Posts
Giro

I bought a cheaper helmet when i first started out and noticed it was very hot. I then bought a giro atmos online from ebay. If you check e-bay they will have pretty good deals on helmets and on the giro atmos. Better than the LBS could give you. I think the money is well spent with the atmos but there are also other brands that are just as good.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
19,427 Posts
why is it...

when people talk about Giro they always mention the Atmos as the only option...
I purchased a 60$ Monza (retails for 100$) from Performance (locally, not online) from Giro and it works and fits just as well as the Atmos for 1/2 the cost. they look fairly identical except I think the Atmos has a few more vents and weighs a few less grams...
a 50-80$ helmet (if it fits properly) will do you fine in most temps......I mean honestly, its a helmet....and if you've ever cracked one, you're glad it there...and you're also glad you didn't pay 200$ for it.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
777 Posts
stamp adams said:
Shannon,

You couldn't be more wrong. Here, your advice is that there is no difference between the $25 and the $225 model. It is all about fit. This is a very valuable piece of information for someone on a budget and who has never before purchased a helmet.

Others suggest there is another big factor - airflow, especially in hot climates. Snce I am in Texas, this is a concern.

Finally, I have information on how to save money on the model I choose.

When I think of the time saved and the money saved listening to the opinions of those with experience in clothing - well all I can do is say thank you, thank you thank you. And I haven't been disappointed in following the collected wisdom of my more experienced riders not once.

The result of your opinion and the opinion of the others responding to this thread lead me to a Bell, high flow helmet that fits my head, cost $45.00 from an on-line store, is of color rather than black due to safety concerns (easier to see). I can use this same example for the clothing that I have purchased because of that thread. Thanks for your input, Stamp

Well, my answer was somewhat tounge-in-cheek, but was basically correct. And from the text of your post, it seems that we agree more than we disagree. But there's so much hype in helmet marketing that it needs to be cut through. Any reasonably well-ventilated, decently light helmet will work about as well as any other, provided both fit your head. Not all helmets fit all heads. And once you get much above 50 bucks, the law of rapidly diminishing returns sets in with a vengance. Also, when helmet manufacturers like to change colors every year and call that a new model, you can get screamin' deals on closeouts. I've never paid more than 50 bucks for a helmet, and I've never paid retail list for one either.

Above a certain minimum level, there isn't enough difference to justify the costs. That minimum level is a lot lower than you might think. That's all I was sayin'...

--Shannon
 

· SoCal--S Beach to the Dam
Joined
·
1,032 Posts
dr hoo said:
I normally try to buy MSRP ~$100 helmets on sale for 50. good bang for the buck, and worth the $50.
Yep. Heck i havent paid msrp for anything over 50 bucks. I just took my new helmet out of the box that i bought 6 months ago. Its an 04 Giro Pneumo for a tity sum of $59.99
 

· Resident Curmudgeon
Joined
·
13,390 Posts
I'm with Shannon on this one. Assuming that it fits you, the main difference in helmets that cost $50 and up is the paint.
 

· Banned
Joined
·
2,767 Posts
Mr. Versatile said:
I'm with Shannon on this one. Assuming that it fits you, the main difference in helmets that cost $50 and up is the paint.
Maybe, but the idea that "there isn't enough difference to justify the costs" is just stupid and presumptuous on its face. What is justified depends on the buyer.

It is a given that essentially all helmets sold in, at least, the US, meet certain minimal standards for protection. However, people need to remember that policing this policy is left up to the manufacturer. Also, there is continual debate about whether a given standard is really enough and if a given impact test really reflects what a head will experience. This is true in motorcycle helmets, as well as bicycle helmets.

A person could probably safely assume that no helmet sold legally will be a danger to his or her head. And it is true that the finish on costlier helmets is better, and that money generally gets you more ventilation. Fit is a primary concern, because if a helmet does not fit well, then it won't protect as well as it could. Any slop in fit will translate to a distribution of forces on the head that the manufacturer did not intend.

I'm of the mind that I won't pinch pennies when it comes to any brain bucket. Granted I came to the state of mind after destroying three helmets in 100+ mph crashes, racing motorcycles, but even without that, I'd still be one of people that errs on the side of a costlier helmet...just in case. My reasons might be totally based on rationalizations, but I was the one buying my helmets. And I am the one wearing them.

So, if the OP is still out there, whatever you buy, make sure it fits well. That is most important.

FWIW, I'm wearing an Atmos--flat black, because black is faster. It replaced a Pneumo that died when I was hit by a car.
 
1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top