Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to purchase a new helmet,which is the better helmet to buy, the Bell volt or Louis Garneau carbon titan. I don't know if this is the right site to ask this quesiton, but If not I'm sorry.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
The one that fits you better.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
any one

spinnertsaf said:
I want to purchase a new helmet,which is the better helmet to buy, the Bell volt or Louis Garneau carbon titan. I don't know if this is the right site to ask this quesiton, but If not I'm sorry.
Helmuts are made to perform to certian standards. Virtually all of them are similar safety wise, so get one that (of course fits) and looks how you want it to look. Thee are differences in how much air will pass through the vents so there are differences that can be important other than the safety factor. some could be lighter, beeasier to attach lights to if that's important, things like that

·
Registered
627 Posts
every brand has a different "fit style". you must try them all. I love my giro atmos but my friend swears by bell helmets (which have never fit me right. to each their own. chances are you'll find a brand that just fits your head right.... then get whatever can the best cooling and is in your pricerange

·
Shut up legs!
1,282 Posts
I just recently bought a Bell Volt. It's my first bell helmet. I have always used a Giro Atmos.

The Bell fits more comfortably.
Bell suppose to fit oval shape head better , whereas Giro fits round shape heads better.

·
eRacer
2,555 Posts
Get one that fits your head.
Try several on.
The top level brands are all nice, as long as they are comfortable.
I'm a 'pinhead', and Giro works for me.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Another Giro user..tried on a bunch of helmets, Giro fit me best. Fit should be the criteria, then having a color you can live with..

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I'm gonna recomend Giro, and I'll tell you why. Customer service. I recently contacted Giro to see if I could purchase a new set of pads for my 4 year old Pneumo. I fully expected to have to pay for them, but they sent me a set free of charge. Giros are great helmets, but they are not cheap, especailly their top end models. But while a set of pads didn't cost them much, they could have easily charges me $20 or so for a set, which I would have paid. Great helmets, great folks.

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
What they said. Buy what fits, has good airflow, and you like the looks of.

In the right size, most adjust to fit fine. I have a very large, very oval head so most end up looking fairly mushroom-y on me, being perched on my forehead and crown. They tend to stick way out to the sides and sit too high, no matter the size.

Someone needs to invent custom heat-shrink fits, like Shimano does with shoes. OK, maybe not exactly like that. But something that would allow it to be shaped to fit while still being protective would be very cool.

·
More cowbell!
2,527 Posts
Bell and Giro are owned by the same company and customer service is excellent with both. I had a similar experience getting replacement pads for my Bell Sweep.

·
Le Misérable
4,374 Posts
I get light-colored helmets, to reflect more sunlight when it's stinking hot. Except for the winter helmet--sized bigger to allow ear covers and hats and shyte like that--which I like to be black to warm my brain in the winter sunlight.

I've found that I can make almost any helmet fit my head, especially with the cool adjusting stuff and different pad thicknesses in today's helmets. You almost can't go wrong...which sure as he!! wasn't the case 20 years ago, when 25 bucks got you a styrofoam brick with straps.

·
Use my Apps :)
959 Posts
Get what fits.

I've got a bit of the "Herman Munster head" thing (more vertical forehead) and Bell has always fit me better then Giro. Bell has also been very good about customer service. They replaced a Ghisallo helmet for me no questions asked and have always sent me replacement sweat pads free of charge.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts