Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I need my first helmut, what should l know before l buy one. My LBS would of course talk me into a pricey one or a bare bottom one.

What should l expect to pay and are there better brands then others and how should it fit?

Thanks

Alan

PS l am not going to but bike shoes until l hit 5 miles, l am 63 and a novice that will be on bike paths only to start.

·
waterproof*
41,745 Posts
+1 above... the ones that Target / Walmart etc carry have passed the same safety standards as the $200 models the bike shop carries.

The difference, besides marketing/margin, is in the fit "systems" and ventilation.

Buy the one you like, make sure you try it on first and adjust the straps to it fits properly (tedious but critical). It should come with instructions including a little picture that looks like this.

·
Registered
113 Posts
yes... as stated above... the only difference between cheap and expensive helmets is comfort. the more expensive ones will have more adjustable fit systems and more air vents to keep your head cool. and the more expensive ones look cooler IMHO.

any ansi/snell approved helmet will protect your head in a crash (as long as its fitted well). so your choice should depend a lot on your budget and how much you value comfort

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.