Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm relatively new to biking, having just broke in last year. But I'm ready for a new frame, and I'm fairly certain that the Surly Cross Check is right for me.

Here's my question: Is it cheaper to order a package deal, such as the $890 Surly-spec'ed bike from fullcycles.com, or could I purchase better components with the $500 difference between that bike and the $390 frame?

In other words, are there really $500 in components on that Cross Check from fullcycles?

I won't have a problem piecing together a bike, as my roommate is a bike mechanic. So I just want to know if I should order the components separately or buy the complete bike.

Any advice on this subject would be much appreciated, as I'd like to get on a new frame ASAP! Thanks!

P.S. -- My roommate can't get me a discount on components, as he has used his discount so much that his boss is suspicious. So don't consider that a factor when giving me advice.

·
Registered
232 Posts
It is almost always cheaper to purchase a complete bike than to build one up. That said, make sure you can live with the spec of the complete Cross Check. Overall it is a good spec for the money but it does go with barcon shifters instead of STI integrated brake/shifters so make sure your OK with that.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
Hayduke is right. It's almost always cheaper, and it IS always easier to buy a complete bike. If you've been riding awhile and have a bunch of pieces/parts lying around the garage it might be different. Get the complete bike,

·
Descender
2,213 Posts
That is a pretty good bike for the money. Agree with the above - better to buy a complete bike.

You may want to consider approaching Full Cycles on the price difference between bar shifters and STI's -may be worth the switch id priced right.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.