Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, thanks for looking!

Im building up a bike. I am super pumped about it. It will be sweet. I have spent too much.

To continue with this trend of spending, I need some wheels!

heres a bit about my needs:

I am 185lbs after the off season, and about 7 lbs lighter when riding.
I am more of a sprinter, but I am going to be doing some triathlon
the majority of my riding is traditional roadie stuff, I will think about some crits and regular road races too. (so 30mm is likely the depth im thinking...)
I dont want these wheels to die easily, the roads here are brutal. REALLY BRUTAL!
I have a budget of $1500 but would like to spend less.
I am even considering significantly less if the wheels are good enough (Im not too much of a snob)

any suggestions on somthing that would fit the bill.

THanks for the help!

PS anyone try both williams wheels and ROl wheels with a direct comparison? WIlliams has ceramic bearings, rol is a little lighter for the same weight limit. Whaddaya think?!

·
Registered
2 Posts
So many Choices

I was just in the same perticament that you are; spend a lot of money on bike and components and had about $1,300 for a wheelset.
I live in the NW and some times my road bike needs to be more of a cyclecross.
I had a pair of Neauvations R28 for 4 years as training wheels. good wheels for training and a good price but not a race wheel.

I had a pair of DT Swiss 1420's where good but wanted something more aero.

I Tried a pair of American Classics 420's; felt stiff on the straights but not that great sprinting or cornering.

So I read the reviews here and then called to Sean at ROL; everything written about his customer service is right on. He will explain options and build you a wheel set you can train on and race.

I got his Race SL with DT Swiss 24/28 spokes. They are made for us 185 lb guys and are the most responsive wheel I have ever ridden bar none.

Price is less than Mavics of comprable build and we all know how bad Mavic's Customer service is.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Rolf Vigor RS, at 1590g there may be lighter wheels but the RS will take a lot of abuse and at 34MM they are pretty aero. You should be able to get a new set for $900 or less.

·
Banned
185 Posts
You could buy two sets for that money.

Say Niobium 24mm (XR-240) 32h with DT Swiss 340 for regular use, and Niobium 30mm (XR-300) with DT Swiss 240s for the race days and when you want to ride the aero set.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Nb30 / 240s 24/28 would be perfect for you. fast, light(ish) and tough.

i have run a 20/24 set for ~5k miles and never touched them (at almost the same weight as you, but on better roads). the 240s hubs are spectacular, and the 30mm rims are plenty stiff even with a low spoke count.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know that there a lot of options out there, I appreciate the help. Im sure that there are lots Id be happy with, I just dont want to end up getting ones that look flash, but are lemons in the end...

·
Cpark
2,062 Posts
dookie said:
Nb30 / 240s 24/28 would be perfect for you. fast, light(ish) and tough.

i have run a 20/24 set for ~5k miles and never touched them (at almost the same weight as you, but on better roads). the 240s hubs are spectacular, and the 30mm rims are plenty stiff even with a low spoke count.
+1
This is exact set up I have and I'm about 185lbs.
With CX-Ray spokes, it came in at 1465 grams without skewers/rim tape.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts