Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Spent the last 3 years running 2-3 marathons/year, and always made my own structured training plans. I biked periodically for xt, but next year I'm going to focus on cycling. I will hit 3,000 miles this year despite more runs than rides. I averaged 8.5 hours of training time weekly over the whole year, and I anticipate I'll be at that or slightly higher in 2017. I'm 26, no kids, so I have some free time.

Trying to come up with a plan without a coach for the remainder of 2016 and 2017. My goal race is a 100 mile mtb race in June, but I'd like to do a few crits and a couple road races, including an Omnium, in April and early May.

I do have a power meter, an old wired powertap I've had since October. I did an ftp test on the road soon after getting it and managed 285 watts for 20 minutes. I weigh 77kg (I'm 6"5). First of all, is that good, or am I going to get my doors blown off in cat 5 crits and road races? I've only done mtb races (longer ones) and gravel grinders, no road races. I know I have a better endurance curve for longer races than 20 minute sufferfests, as my 5sec-2 min power sucks. But I've never worked on it.

If races don't start until April, what should I be doing now? Hard to ride a lot of mileage in MN in December-January, so I was planning to xc ski a lot as well as riding indoors. Should I be doing sweet spot intervals, ftp intervals, vo2 max, no intervals and all easy riding, I have no idea. I've got a cheapo mag trainer and a set of rollers.

Thanks for any insight/suggestions.

·
Pack Fodder.
1,871 Posts
Trying to come up with a plan without a coach for the remainder of 2016 and 2017. My goal race is a 100 mile mtb race in June, but I'd like to do a few crits and a couple road races, including an Omnium, in April and early May.

I do have a power meter, an old wired powertap I've had since October. I did an ftp test on the road soon after getting it and managed 285 watts for 20 minutes. I weigh 77kg (I'm 6"5). First of all, is that good, or am I going to get my doors blown off in cat 5 crits and road races? I've only done mtb races (longer ones) and gravel grinders, no road races. I know I have a better endurance curve for longer races than 20 minute sufferfests, as my 5sec-2 min power sucks. But I've never worked on it.

If races don't start until April, what should I be doing now? Hard to ride a lot of mileage in MN in December-January, so I was planning to xc ski a lot as well as riding indoors. Should I be doing sweet spot intervals, ftp intervals, vo2 max, no intervals and all easy riding, I have no idea. I've got a cheapo mag trainer and a set of rollers.

Thanks for any insight/suggestions.
You probably have a decent aerobic engine from running. A 265W FTP is a good starting place, so set up your zones and pick any number of training plans on the internet.

With Cat5 crits and road races, they can be a crapshoot with widely varying levels of fitness and skill on display. Pack skills and a decent diesel will usually keep you in the mix.

In your case, what I would work on is short duration power (what you highlight as your weakness) to handle the repeated sprints out of corners. VO2max intervals will help with that. I'd do a couple sprint workouts a week (spread out), a couple tempo workouts, and a couple endurance workouts. Mix it up so there's a flow to your training week/month. Make every fourth week an easy week, then start building again. The big thing is to build over time and not peak during the trainer season by doing too much.

Zwift isn't a bad place to work on sprint training, even though it differs from the real world. They also have a lot of built-in workouts that could help build towards your goals.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks that is helpful. I was worried about doing fast stuff during "base building" season, but I'll do them.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Work on the 5 sec to 2min (and 5 minute) stuff, too. That's what will or will not get you dropped in a cat 5 race. You can have a much higher relative ftp but if you never work on the stuff above that, you can suffer significantly.

285w for 20 at 77 kgs is not particularly good, but it shouldn't hold you back if you can get proficient in a pack. Lacking any significant 5-2 min power will hold you back, and coupled with a lower ftp, can really leave you hurting and going backwards the fourth or fifth or tenth time you have to hit it hard (which you will likely be doing every lap). Again, that can be mitigated significantly by excellent cornering, positioning, and pack riding, but those things take a while to develop and must be worked on.

So group rides, group rides, group rides. Find the fastest guys around and try to ride with them on the weekends.

As for your workout questions: all of it. Rotate those three (and their variations) over the course of 7-14 days (what you an handle will have to be played with a bit). So you might try a VO2 workout on day 2, an FTP workout on day 5, and a SS workout on day 7 or 8. Or you might have a hard group ride you can do on Saturday, so you could do VO2 Tuesday, SS or FTP Thursday, and group on Sat.

There 18 million variations and any and all of them will get someone faster. I'd plan out an idea of schedule and give it a shot for 4-6 weeks, see how you get along (sticking to any schedule can be the toughest part) and then reassess.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No group rides here in MN until the snow melts. It's currently negative twenty outside, so road riding is pretty much not possible until March. I have done a few "fast A paced" group rides with sprinting for town signs, summits, etc. but mostly B paced 19-20mph rides. I feel like my bike handling is pretty good for someone who's only been riding for two years, but I've only been riding for two years. I feel comfortable riding closely behind someone at 30mph though. But that has been mostly with guys I know and trust!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts