Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Help a rider with 8 speed problems.

I have a friend who just bought a Lemond Zurich with 8 spd shimano 600. It is a double on the front. The left sti (front), will not let the derailure(sp?), shift onto the inner ring. "Any advice would be appreciated. We need a cheap fix. He has not even ridden the bike yet...bought it and took it home and later found the problem. If anyone has an 8 speed left sti to donate we would appreciate it. He is a newer rider and this is by far the best bike he has ever owned. However, he is on a TIGHT budget and we need to get him rolling. Some people have donated used tires so he could go ahead and ride because the old one were dry rotten. The bike has been unused for the past two years and sitting in a metal storage building.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
221 Posts
oxygen debt said:
I have a friend who just bought a Lemond Zurich with 8 spd shimano 600. It is a double on the front. The left sti (front), will not let the derailure(sp?), shift onto the inner ring. "Any advice would be appreciated. We need a cheap fix. He has not even ridden the bike yet...bought it and took it home and later found the problem. If anyone has an 8 speed left sti to donate we would appreciate it. He is a newer rider and this is by far the best bike he has ever owned. However, he is on a TIGHT budget and we need to get him rolling. Some people have donated used tires so he could go ahead and ride because the old one were dry rotten. The bike has been unused for the past two years and sitting in a metal storage building.

Thanks for your help.
Check the adjustment screws on the derailleur, spray some aerosol lube into the mechanism, check that the cables are seated properly and moving free, lube the derailleur, if all else fails, put a downtube lever on it, you should be able to find a free one floating around in a box in some bike store backshelf.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dave_Stohler said:
Why on earth would you be looking for another STI? You obviously don't have a clue how to work on a bike, so just take it to a bike shop.

Sorry, I did not make it clear that I belive the problem is in the sti. It does not want to let the cable go. I have sprayed it with w-d 40 with no luck. It will not even make the click to release. There is no "feeling" when you shift the sti. I upshifted to the big ring and now it will go no where.

·
Registered
318 Posts
take it to the shop or...

Check the cables and the dereilleur. If it has been sitting in the store for two years, chances are something has corroded.

My bet, the cable is stuck somewhere along the line, try and manually move the front d downwards, then thug on the cables and see what happens.

If for some sad reason you were after free 8sp stis because the bike has downtube shifters then I'm sorry for you.

regards,
Sean

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
Dave and NC, you guys are harsh

oxygen debt said:

Thanks for your help.
The guy asks a legit repair question and all you can tell him is take it to a shop or get a job? Some of us have more repair knowledge than others but there's no such thing as a stupid question. STI problems can be daunting, even for a seasoned mechanic. This may not be in the STI itself but it could be. I'd check backwards from the frt. der. As others have said check for corrosion/stuck parts. Make sure the der. spring is working properly and there's no corrosion or gunk on the pivots. Clean and lube the der. Remove the cable and housing and inspect. Remove any rust (if his budget isn't too tight I'd get new cables and housing, regardless of condition). I don't like to over lube cables and housing. Over time I think it attracts dirt and degrades performance. Liberally spray some WD40 inside the housing until it runs out the other end for several seconds. Let it sit for a few minutes and blow it out with compressed air. After the housing drys that should be all the lube you need. If that doesn't work then it could be the STI. I wouldn't recommend working on it yourself. Some shops won't even work on them, they're that complicated. You might end up replacing it.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I think that

I think that everyone should learn to service thier own bike. It really keeps you in touch with the machine. To that end, do this job yourself. What have you got to loose?

I would approach this systematically, but then again I am an engineer.

1. I would start at the derailure and work backwards.
2. Make sure it is freely moving. Make sure that the limit screws are not the problem. You can do both of these things by disconnecting the cable and moving the der by hand.
3. While the cable is off see if the function of the front STI changes, especially when you are holding onto the cable to provide a bit of tension.
4. Check to see if the cable is sliding freely in the housing. I lube mine with tri-flow.
5. If you still have not found the problem you can do a minor disassembly of the STI lever without taking apart the clockworks inside. You expose all of the guts, clean and re-lube. WD-40 can do the clean part, but WhiteLightening "Clean Streak" will do the job TONS better. After cleaning lube with tri-flo.

STI shifters have a habit of sticking when they sit for a few years. It is really not that hard to fix. You can search the web for a manual that Shimano put out on how to dissasemble the shifter. I had it at one time, but I lost the link.

JB

·
Registered
30 Posts
The guy is begging for parts...

...sounds like he got a free bike outa someone's garage, someone gave him tires and now he wants a shifter. And also wants free repair instructions. Sorry, some things need to be earned.

Anyone out there give me a free trip to the Tour de France?

·
Registered
43 Posts
I must agree with you bigfatsal

now Im not one who would give away a somewhat expensive piece of equipment but he was not just asking for handouts. He had a perfectly legitimate question and we should all try to help him and answer the question for we are all fellow riders. Basically, help a brother out

·
Registered
146 Posts
Exactly.....

trek5900cyclist said:
now Im not one who would give away a somewhat expensive piece of equipment but he was not just asking for handouts. He had a perfectly legitimate question and we should all try to help him and answer the question for we are all fellow riders. Basically, help a brother out
And not judge so harshly or automatically assume the worse about the guy.... Whatever....

Anyway, to get back to the point, I'd agree that he should look online for some tips on basic maintainence, get a few of the basic bike tools, and learn how to fix it himself since that's the best way to get to know your bike and how it all works (you can pick up one of those bike tool kits from the mailorder shops like Supergo or Pricepoint for something like $40 and be able to fix just about anything on the bike with those kits). But he probably should NOT take apart the inner workings of the STI mechanisms. If he can't get the derailler working he can always bring it to a bike shop as a last resort..... If it does turn out to be a shot STI lever then he can probably pick one up cheap somewhere.

It's actually pretty rewarding to fix your bike yourself.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
One more thing...

Besides replacing the cable, inspect the small machine screw on the under side of the shift levers. They in the past have had a tendency to rattle loose and fall out and it feels like they lock-up while shifting if the screw is very loose or gone all together. Could always do the WD40 flush thing on. On my '99 Lemond, the FD when fully uncabled struck the seat tube which acted as a stop so placement as far as chain line alignment was critical to operation. But that does not sound related to your problem.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I've fixed this problem twice

I've had two 105 8-speed STI bikes that developed this problem. Here's how I fixed it.

DON'T use WD-40. Use a silicone spray or something bike specific. Turn the bike outside down. Generously spray the left shifter mechanism (basically, flood it if you have to) by the pivot. Then hold the inner shift lever in (as if you were shifting to the small ring) and spray the mechanism by the pivot.

Repeatedly work the inner and outer shift levers to work the solvent/silicone in. Repeat the spraying if you have to.

If you still can't get it to downshift to the small ring, try the following:With the bike upright again, and you straddling it, push the inner shift lever away from you (towards the front) as you attempt to downshift. This puts more pressure on the release mechanism.

It worked for me. Good luck.

BTW: I'm pissed at all the turd-cutter snobs that posted complaints but no advice. I'm like your friend; I've got more time than money. I just modernized to a 9-speed 3 weeks ago (a used 2001 TCR2 I got for $440!).

·
Registered
83 Posts
Try this

If the gear cables are OK, behind the return lever their may be a small screw. They sometimes come loose and cause problems. If you even have a doubt about the gear cables, just shout the guy a new one. Ive never seen a front mech stop working all together so im guessing cable.

Buy the way, did you guys never go through hard times? Give the man a break!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.