Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if there is a good rule of thumb for tire pressure?? To this point i have just been filling it to feel. I am running Mavic Ksyrium sl with Vittoria Rubicon Pro Tires. any tips and/or hints are welcome.

thanks

·
hi, I'm Larry
2,254 Posts
just fill em up until you hear a bang

and then back it off by 10 psi next time around. (sorry I could not resist).

It depends on weight and tire size. I'm assuming your dealing with 23 cm tires. If your body weight is say 180 - 210 you would have to be on the high side of things 115-125+. If you run lower than that you risk pinch flats

With lower body weight you can get by with lower pressures without risking pinch flats.

The higher the pressure the lower the rolling resistance. However, if you get up beyond a certain point the tires will start skipping and bouncing and this increases rolling resistance on rough pavement. The lower the pressure the smoother and softer the ride.

I let a little air out for training and messing around and pump'em up for racing or just going fast.

·
Registered
985 Posts
In addition to what Bimini has said, a slightly softer tire will corner better. A lot of riders in the 180 lb range pump up their tires to 110 psi. Much higher and the road vibration on chip-and-seal pavement will make your body numb.

·
Registered
140 Posts
usually there is a suggested PSI...

mtbykr said:
Just wondering if there is a good rule of thumb for tire pressure?? To this point i have just been filling it to feel. I am running Mavic Ksyrium sl with Vittoria Rubicon Pro Tires. any tips and/or hints are welcome.

thanks
written on the sidewall of the tire. i generally use that as a rule of thumb.

rt

·
scruffy nerf herder
4,484 Posts
Ed and Fred say....

90-95 is the ideal in almost all road conditions. That sounded strange to me, so I sometimes go up to 100, but never go to max. They had a pretty good breakdown of handling/comfort, and pressure on the rims to go along with their analysis, along with some rolling tests. You can search on it at roadbikerider.com.

I've gone with it and had fantastic results since.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Agree with Chris

funknuggets said:
90-95 is the ideal in almost all road conditions. That sounded strange to me, so I sometimes go up to 100, but never go to max. They had a pretty good breakdown of handling/comfort, and pressure on the rims to go along with their analysis, along with some rolling tests. You can search on it at roadbikerider.com.

I've gone with it and had fantastic results since.

90 to 95 works fine, body weight 150.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Experiment between the ranges listed. Factor in your body weight as well.

My tires say 87-116psi on the sidewall. I used to ride with them at 110-115 with good results. Anything higher didn't feel so good.

Lately, I have been experimenting with lower pressure. 90-100 feels a lot smoother. Anytime it gets lower than 90, it feels a bit too soft. I also fear pinch flatting, so I never ride below 90.

·
Arrogant roadie.....
4,232 Posts
If your tires say "250 lb max load", would you gain weight?

*rt* said:
written on the sidewall of the tire. i generally use that as a rule of thumb.

rt
Of course, that is the maximum pressure, not the suggested pressure. Using it as such is akin to driving with you car engine always at maximum RPM.

I ride tubulars, and they often have a max pressure of 170 psig. Do I ever ride at that pressure? Hell no! I ride with my front tires at 105, and my rears at 125-130. I weigh 190, and I'm riding on 21mm tubulars. YMMV.

Try different pressures and find out what works for you.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,465 Posts
Front 110, rear 120. I weigh 185 (on a good day). Good combo of comfort and handleing, plus it's been years since I've had a p*nch fl*t.

·
Registered
309 Posts
mtbykr said:

thanks
90-95.

You're asking this and you're riding Mavic Ksyriums?
LOL

·
rock n rolling resistance
851 Posts
Here is a tire pressure guide chart..

mtbykr said:

thanks
I used to pump 10-20psi below max psi but now I don't. I've found out that can be not-a-good-thing to your tires, rims, you and the riders behind ya especially if you are pumping Max. 200psi tubulars. The psi specification on the sidewall is there to cover their/MFG's arse just in case some 300+ rider gets on a 19mm race wheels and hurts himself after blowing the tires. I always thought I should be inflating tubulars to higher psi (because the higher psi is a good thing I thought, and sure they say they can take it ) than I would with clinchers but not so, apparently.

Here is Sheldon Brown's Tire pressue guide chart:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tires.html#pressure

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just to clarify

Yes i am a newbie riding Mavic Ksyriums (attatched to a C-Dale CAAD 6 with record)

I used to work at a shop and i handled the mt bike side of the store and never paid any attention to the road crew. Shop got sold (it sucks now) and all the good rodie's quick and moved away. before i left i build a bike with a good discount (i ride mavic crossmax so i figured it was the way to go + i like how campy shifted better than shimano)

Hey, I figured if i am going to learn the ropes of the road crewi may as well have a sweet ride :D

·
Banned
3,915 Posts
On my regular road bike, with Vitt Corsa tubs I found 107 psi front/112 psi rear was optimum for me (193-200 lbs.) on 23c width.

On my CX bike, 90 front/95 rear for on-road rides, 70/75 psi if I'm going mostly off-road, 28c-30c tires.

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
mtbykr said:
Yes i am a newbie riding Mavic Ksyriums (attatched to a C-Dale CAAD 6 with record)

I used to work at a shop and i handled the mt bike side of the store and never paid any attention to the road crew. Shop got sold (it sucks now) and all the good rodie's quick and moved away. before i left i build a bike with a good discount (i ride mavic crossmax so i figured it was the way to go + i like how campy shifted better than shimano)

Hey, I figured if i am going to learn the ropes of the road crewi may as well have a sweet ride :D
If you race at 120 pis, you train at the same pressure. If you are doing flat straightaway time trials or just in general ride no twisty sandy roads, there is no reason not to go up higher if your tire lets you to. But letting some air out for training is just stupid. A lot of tires will have max pressure at 120 psi. That is the pressure that is safe to take your regular dry corners at speed. Of course a lot can be said about what line and what speed you pick. A lot of people race at this pressure and there are no crashes... frown all you want, but this silly RBR trend of 95 psi is not any more practical/faster/safer, unless you ride Paris-Roubai (spelling?).

What is not safe to do is to get a tire that goes up to 145 psi and pump it up to that and then try to corner with everyone else. Chances are, you are gonna wreck. When it is a wet, lower the pressure to, say, 100 psi. It is not going to feel as quick, but it will be safer.

Woof the dog.

·
Power Napper
2,853 Posts
23rd letter of the Greek alphabet

I'm 125 lbs and never ride at pressures over 100 psi.

·
Registered
140 Posts
that's why i said "rule of thumb"

Dave_Stohler said:
Of course, that is the maximum pressure, not the suggested pressure. Using it as such is akin to driving with you car engine always at maximum RPM.

I ride tubulars, and they often have a max pressure of 170 psig. Do I ever ride at that pressure? Hell no! I ride with my front tires at 105, and my rears at 125-130. I weigh 190, and I'm riding on 21mm tubulars. YMMV.

Try different pressures and find out what works for you.
perhaps i should have specified that i use the max as a rule of thumb and then adjust from there.

rt - riding 116 psi up front and about 110 psi rear (body weight ~100 lbs)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.