Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. New member here -- and almost a noobie to the world of cycling. It's been decades since I owned my last bike..

I was thinking of doing some casual cycling and decided to look into used bikes. Something not too difficult to ride for a beginner that is reliable. I was wondering how something like this would fare?

TREK 7.4FX (Fitness Bike) - 40% discount

Also, what are the things I should be sure to look for when I inspect the bike before agreeing to purchase?

I don't have much knowledge about buying bikes, so if anyone can share pointers and things I should be cautious about, it would be much much appreciated!

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
It looks like a nice bike. Make sure and check that the wheels spin nicely without any side to side wobble. Make sure the tires are clean and hold air. Ride the bike and see that you feel comfortable. Try all of the gear combinations, all shifters must work. Brakes must work. Check the frame of the bike for any dents or scratches.
Hopefully the bike fits you and is comfortable. Hope it works out.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Can't enlarge the picture, but there looks to be a lot of wear on the front tire. Tires are pretty cheap, but it indicates that it has been ridden a lot. Question is how it was maintained. You may need a new chain and cassette, for openers, as well as tires.

·
Registered
21,726 Posts
Can't enlarge the picture, but there looks to be a lot of wear on the front tire.
Nonsense. You can't tell anything about tire wear from that picture. Besides, tires wear from power transmission (either pedaling or braking forces) and therefore it is virtually impossible to wear out a front tire. Until you can see tread depth or weigh the tire you can't say anything about wear.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.