Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I'm having some trouble re-setting up my rear derailleur after transferring the parts to a new frame. The procedure, as I understand it is to:
1) cable off, chain off, align top derailleur pulley with smallest cog with limit screw
2) cable on, chain off, align top derailleur pulley with #5 cog (from smallest) using cable adjuster
3) cable on, chain off, align top derailleur pulley with largest cog with limit screw
4) cable on, chain off, set cage/cog spacing to 7 mm using adjustment screw.

Step 1 is no issue.
Step 2 requires a significant adjustment; the pulley naturally aligns with cog #4 (I am double checking which cog I'm looking at)
Step 3, I can't get enough travel to get the pulley to align with #11; it is sitting inboard of #11. The adjustment screw is backed out enough that it is not making contact with the stop. To get the pulley to align, I'd have to pull the cable further, but I can't adjust the shifter to do that.
Step 4, the adjustment screw makes no difference; it seems like it's not engaged. I can see the teeth that the screw should be driving, but it doesn't seem to be connected.

The cassette/chain/shifters are all SR from the same group, so there shouldn't be any incompatibilities, and this was all working correctly on the previous frame. Any ideas on what the issue is, or what I'm doing incorrectly?

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Hi all,
I'm having some trouble re-setting up my rear derailleur after transferring the parts to a new frame.
Do you have Campy's manual on hand? It's here.

Step 2 requires a significant adjustment; the pulley naturally aligns with cog #4 (I am double checking which cog I'm looking at).
So, after Step 1, you attached the cable, how? The cable should be fairly tight while the derailleur is still sitting on the smallest cog. Sorry for the trivial question, but you did shift into the highest hear (paddle all the way down, until there's no more clicks) before attaching the cable, and into the fifth gear before doing this second step, right?

Step 3, I can't get enough travel to get the pulley to align with #11; it is sitting inboard of #11.
See the above two questions: Was your shifter in the correct initial positions?

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
I do all the steps with the chain on.
Step 2 is good to do with the chain while pedaling and listening to the chain. The outside cogs make a good deal more chain noise while the center cog should be real quiet.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the hint on tensioning the cable! That gave me the full range on getting #5 and #11. I still have the issue with getting the correct spacing between the cassette and the pulley. The "height adjustment" screw isn't engaged with the disc on the pulley pivot. I couldn't find any info on how to get it to re-engage. Do you guys know where to find rebuild instructions? I think it might be something I need to take apart in order to re-engage.

·
Registered
21,725 Posts
The "height adjustment" screw isn't engaged with the disc on the pulley pivot. I couldn't find any info on how to get it to re-engage. Do you guys know where to find rebuild instructions? I think it might be something I need to take apart in order to re-engage.
If you're talking about the little toothed "partial ring" on the underside of the upper pulley with the screw used to adjust it, you just turn the screw until it engages. It's not anchored to anything and is free to turn around the axis of the bolt that holds the derailleur cage to the lower derailleur body.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, I was talking about the toothed partial ring. I was able to get the screw to re-engage; it took a bit of fiddling, as the screw seemed to bottom out and stop before engaging the partial ring. It didn't seem to make any difference in setting the clearance.
When I put the chain back on, the clearance increased, but still not to the required 7mm clearance. The screw didn't affect the clearance with the chain installed either. The bike seems to shift fine, so I'm not sure I need to worry about it, but I'm mystified why that adjustment and screw are needed then. It seems being able to force the derailleur to rotate around the mounting bolt would make a greater difference in the pulley clearance than the adjuster they provided.

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
That screw only affects the clearance between the chain and the largest cog. If it's screwed in further, the clearance will be reduced. It can't be adjusted with the chain off. If you have a 29T largest cog, it might need to be turned out nearly all the way.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.