Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
steel road, fixie, & MTB
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how much do I need to spend and from where, on the 'net, shall I source all the parts to have enough parts to build a fixie (fix?) once I 've assembled a lugged steel road or track frame that has long enough drop-outs or track ends. where's a good source for decent wheelset?

goal: to build a lugged steel fixie (with front brake) on the cheap, as a commuter, then attach fenders, front and back.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I'd get into one of IRO's build kits.

Version 2 has the following for $189:

Crank......................IRO 130bcd with alloy 46 tooth ring
Bottom Bracket.....IRO 68X110
Chain......................KMC Silver Track/Single Speed
Cog........................IRO
Lock Ring...............Steel
Headset.................FSA Orbit Threadless
Stem.......................100 or 110 mm
Handle Bars..........42 or 44 mm
Seat Post...............Alloy 27.2

Their standard wheelset is $184, so you're in it for $373 + brakes and pedals.

I don't see how you can beat that, and Tony at IRO has an impeccable reputation for customer service.

·
i like whiskey
8,405 Posts
TrailNut said:
how much do I need to spend and from where, on the 'net, shall I source all the parts to have enough parts to build a fixie (fix?) once I 've assembled a lugged steel road or track frame that has long enough drop-outs or track ends. where's a good source for decent wheelset?

goal: to build a lugged steel fixie (with front brake) on the cheap, as a commuter, then attach fenders, front and back.
Chucksbikes.com has lots of stuff at good prices. If he has what you want, it will be a good price. You can also check out icyclesusa.com. I've picked up several bits and pieces from them and they are good to deal with too. And there is always ebay and the classifieds on this site.

For me part of the fun of building a commuter/beater is scrounging for good deals on parts. I like rummaging through parts bins looking for that one elusive part that will fit. It's fun to say stuff like "I found those bullhorn bars and levers for $23 online in a closeout sale." or "that brand new stem was $3 at a swap meet." (both true statements BTW)

Buying a full setup from IRO kid of takes some fun out of it, at least for me.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
Yep, me too. If I don't have it in my parts bin, I can scrounge thru the parts bin at a local lbs that has beeen around since the beginning of time, I think. He may have bodies in there... Anyhoo, that's the fun of it. As for wheels, I just use what I have lying around. i purchased a pr of Mavic CXP 21's from e-bay for cheap and had a hi-flange f hub from an old Gitane that I resold. Bought the rear hub new and had the lbs build the wheels. There's a swao meet here in 2 weeks so I may be able to snag something there.

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
Craigslist.

There's a pair of D/A freewheel wheels in the SF version that you can probably get for a song...

I find that its the hunt that's the most fun, but that's just me.

M

1 - 5 of 5 Posts