Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I bought my bike about six years ago, it was a little to big for me at the time. It is a Pacific Spitfire Mountain Bike. I was looking to buy a new bike of more quality since I have gone from riding it once in a while, to riding one to two hours a day. But I dont have enough money.

I am 5'9 if that helps. The Pacific is a dual suspension bike. Now when I am riding, I feel a back pain, I am asuming from the "stem?" not being able to go high enough verses the seat. I would appreciate it if someone could comfirm what I think is the problem. If that is the problem about how much would I be looking at? I need a new saddle, so is there any suggestions? I know saddles are like shoes, but maybe someone can point me in the right direction.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting, going to do back exersises. It should take about a month or so till I know if that works.

So now how about fixing the derailer. Do derailers go bad? I cannot shift to "1" on the big gears. The gear cable is "breaking" (it is coming unstranded) at the derailer so could that be the problem? Are there any guides on how to tuin up the gear system?

What about the front wheel hitting the brake pads?

I know I dont have the termanology, that will come with time, LOL.

Any help or links is appreciated,

Thank You
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
actually, after the first and second time i did any workouts, the pain was pretty much gone....i still do it however, but thats just because i want to get into better shape
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,639 Posts
Park Tools

bob2300NX said:
So now how about fixing the derailer. Do derailers go bad? I cannot shift to "1" on the big gears. The gear cable is "breaking" (it is coming unstranded) at the derailer so could that be the problem? Are there any guides on how to tuin up the gear system? What about the front wheel hitting the brake pads?
Go to the Park Tools web site - they have a bunch of guides for repairing bikes. A good book is Zinn and the Art of Road Bike Maintenance. It sounds like you need to start at the beginning.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
396 Posts
Definately start off with eith the Zinn book or the Bicycling Magazine book on repair. This will at least diagram out the bike for you so that you know what the basic parts are. From there, then try some of the basic maintenance. You have an older bike, one that is a lower quality build. So there's probably a lot of little things going on, cable stretch, wheels out of true, etc. Wheel truing may be more advanced for you, so if possible, try to find a buddy that can help show you how to do it... or one that will do it for a 6 pack (my standard fee). You may need to completely replace the cables too, an adjustment might not be enough. These books will help you at least properly diagnose the problems you are having.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for all your help. Will look into it.

Overall what is the difference from cheaper bikes and more expensive bikes? Just high overall quality on all parts? How about a $150 walmart bike and a bottom of the line $300 specialized bike (how is the difference)?

Again will go look into the book.

Thank You
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
396 Posts
Quality of parts and weight of the bike. The 2 you've listed, probably not much... they could have even come off the same line for all I know. If you take a deraileur for example, the higher end ones will be lighter, last longer (although you might get an argument between longevity of say Shimano Ultegra vs. Diore, the lighter high end Diore may actually wear out quicker, but that's an apples/oranges argument). More importantly though, the higher end set up there will be much more responsive and smooth when you shift.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,639 Posts
Below the minimum

KonaMan said:
=The 2 you've listed, probably not much... they could have even come off the same line for all I know.
I would have to disagree. While the $300 bike is nothing to write home about, the Wally World special may well have brakes that cannot be adjusted worth a hoot, wheels that won't stay in true, a flimsy chain, disfunctional shifting, etc. There is a certain minimum cost and quality that make up a decent bike, and below that is a cliff of crap. Sort of like the Yugo of bicycles - yes the Yugo would start and run, but it was generally concluded to be below the minimum standard of acceptability. Besides, it was the first car to actually fall of the Mackinac Bridge in the 30+ years of operation :)
 

·
You're Not the Boss of Me
Joined
·
7,746 Posts
KonaMan said:
Quality of parts and weight of the bike. The 2 you've listed, probably not much... they could have even come off the same line for all I know. If you take a deraileur for example, the higher end ones will be lighter, last longer (although you might get an argument between longevity of say Shimano Ultegra vs. Diore, the lighter high end Diore may actually wear out quicker, but that's an apples/oranges argument). More importantly though, the higher end set up there will be much more responsive and smooth when you shift.

Apples and oranges, comparing mt bike componentry to road bike componentry.

The biggest issue with department store style MTB's is durability and longevity. I've seen riders twist a rear derailleur clean off a Huffy on a steep climb. Sometimes the wheels don't have quick releases on low-end bikes (which sux too). There are too many used bargains, esp. for MTB's, to justify getting one of those bikes-from-the-toy-department.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,389 Posts
well...

bob2300NX said:
Thank you for all your help. Will look into it.

Overall what is the difference from cheaper bikes and more expensive bikes? Just high overall quality on all parts? How about a $150 walmart bike and a bottom of the line $300 specialized bike (how is the difference)?

Again will go look into the book.

Thank You

the differences are slight. just higher end componentry, maybe some weight reduction.
as for your brakes and cable problem...sounds like you're new to bike maintenance, so I'd honestly suggest stopping by a local shop and just asking them to restring the cables and adjust your derailleurs. They'll check out a few others things if the mech. are descent...
your frustration level will remain low...and it should be fairly cheap if you can find a privately owned shop...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You are right, I am new to maintenace. The help has been great, I think I will go to a local bike shop. It seems it is not worth upgrading to a ~$300 bike. Sure maybe if you go higher in the price ladder, but I am 16 and dont have very much money. Looks like it will be department stores for me.

cruzer75 : Can you give me a link to the thrend where it talks about department store bikes and the more expensive bikes?

Thank You
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top