Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Schwinn Signature Sport Hybrid 21 Speed by mail (first mistake) and it came with rear wheel off and derailleur off with the chain twisted with 2 loops. The derailleur is inside out and I have tried everything to untwist this thing with no luck. I can't find a "master link" in the chain anywhere. Any ideas or help would be appreciated. Supposed to be a Christmas present.

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
Sounds like you don't have a lot of experience wrenching on bikes. Not a problem.

Due to the fact Xmas is so close and you don't have much time, I suggest you plea/beg your local bike shop to bail you out, and pay them generously if they do.

With the derailleur off, I'm concerned the mounting threads are stripped and the derailleur hanger might be misaligned making shifting impossible. Unraveling the chain shouldn't need a master link. It's likely just a matter of understanding the chain's orientation to the derailleur and uncoiling it. From the photo, it looks like the dropout might be bent-I see that dent near the chainstay weld. Get thee to a bike shop, post haste!

·
Registered
20,737 Posts
Looped chain can be tricky, but I guarantee you, if it got flipped that way, it can be un-flipped without splitting the chain. But no one is going to be able to explain how to do it over the interwebs.

I suggest looking at a picture of how it should be and try to follow the chain path.
Taking it to a bike shop is not a bad idea. A) to fix the chain and B) to make sure the bike is set up and adjusted properly. I'd bet good money that a mail order bike will not have the shifting and braking adjusted properly.

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
First take the chain off any gears to make it as loose as possible. Sit back and look at it and figure out how to get it back to the shape in the picture above.
My #1 suggestion is to get it all straightened out, but before you put it on any gears!. .... make sure you have the RearD perfectly straight on the threads and slowly install it. Then hang the chain on the RearD, then push the on the rear of the RearD to create a lot of chain slack to install on the crankrings.

·
Administrator
13,007 Posts
Moderators Note:

Unpleasantness deleted. Please play nice or you will get coal in your bike shorts.

·
Administrator
13,007 Posts
Bike shop is the best option. Youtube is a second best option, sometime is easiest to watch others do it first.

Reactions: Wetworks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For those with the smart ass comments....not a very welcoming attitude to this community...thanks so much. So glad I joined. To answer the rediculous comments that I was "cheaping out" by not going to a bike shop...I went to every local bike shop and none had any hybrid bikes in stock. They all say they have been swamped due to COVID. Since this was to help family get in shape due to medical reasons, waiting 6 months for a special order wasn't in the cards for us....thus the "mail order" bike! To answer everyone, we did take it to a local shop and they DID have to break the chain. They didn't charge us anything but we gave them $20 for their trouble. Thanks again!!!

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
Yea, the headset man had to fill in for the chain man for a few bikes, the chain man had to make an emergency head run.
The RD man, was say'in, WTH?

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,411 Posts
For those with the smart ass comments....not a very welcoming attitude to this community...thanks so much. So glad I joined. To answer the rediculous comments that I was "cheaping out" by not going to a bike shop...I went to every local bike shop and none had any hybrid bikes in stock. They all say they have been swamped due to COVID. Since this was to help family get in shape due to medical reasons, waiting 6 months for a special order wasn't in the cards for us....thus the "mail order" bike! To answer everyone, we did take it to a local shop and they DID have to break the chain. They didn't charge us anything but we gave them $20 for their trouble. Thanks again!!!
Welcome to RBR where some people can be a little harsh. They were also correct and you heeded their advice to get the bike fixed at a shop. Nice that they didn't charge you and also nice that you offered them something anyway. All is well that ends well.

·
Registered
21,636 Posts
I've seen a lot of twisted/jammed up chains over the years since I used to work on a Recycle A Bicycle project twice a year for a couple of decades. Some of the bikes came into the program having been run hard and put away wet. I never came across a chain that I couldn't unwind. It's physically impossible to tie one in a knot that requires it to be broken to be undone. That said, it might have been easier for the shop to simply get out the chain tool than get into a wrestling match with the jammed up chain.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts