Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I just got a new pair of 2005 Ksyrium SLs; I've put many thousands of miles on Ksyriums with no problem, but having put about 150 on these new hoops I've found that the rear hub occaisonally makes a loud popping sound when I pedal hard out of the saddle. This corresponds to a slight skip in the pedal stroke, and I think it's that the pawls are slipping a tooth in the freehub. I opened up the freehub, and there's nothing obviously wrong, the pawls look good and there are no metal splinters or anything. Anyone had any experience with a similar problem? Any suggestions? Lube/grease em? I've always used mineral oil on my K's...

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The chain is new, cassette has maybe 1200 miles on it, so I wouldn't think that would be a problem. I had thought it might be a shifting problem, but I had a friend ride behind me and he swears that when it "pops" the chain doesn't move, and it only happens under power, independent of shifting. It doesn't happen when transitioning from freewheeling to pedaling; I can engage the pawls and then increase power gradually on a climb, and eventually I get the POP. Anybody?

·
Registered
804 Posts
How do the pawl springs look?
If one of them is slightly crushed or cock-eyed you may get some slipping. I think they're like a buck to replace so even if it isn't the problem you're really not out much.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
PMC said:
How do the pawl springs look?
If one of them is slightly crushed or cock-eyed you may get some slipping. I think they're like a buck to replace so even if it isn't the problem you're really not out much.
They looked fine, though I didn't take 'em out and really eyeball them. Guess I could do that...

·
Registered
804 Posts
Americano_a_Roma said:
They looked fine, though I didn't take 'em out and really eyeball them. Guess I could do that...
Its about the only thing I can think of... The guts are about as simple as they come so if it is the pawls slipping it's either the freehub is damaged, the pawls are damaged or the springs are bad and you should be able to eyeball the first two pretty easily.

·
You talking to me?
736 Posts
Several years ago I had the exact same symptoms with a set of K's. Turned out that one of the springs for the pawls was missing. One of the mechanics at the LBS actually fashioned a spring from longer, larger diameter spring they had laying around that I could use until Mavic shipped a replacement. The substitute spring was stronger so it made the freewheel noise quite a bit louder, but it worked well for more than a month until I got the Mavic spring.

Now are you sure there was a spring in there pushing the pawl when you took it apart??

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.