Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok - finally bit the bullet and my dream frame is on the way - a TIME Ulteam VXRS.

Now - I have a rough idea as to what groupo I'll use and absolutely NO idea what saddle I'll use.

Group wise I'd like to stay Campy - and ultimately it's a decision if my wallet can take the hit Record will do, or should I just go Chorus instead???

Also whats SRAM Red like? I've also noticed Dura Ace is relatively cheap (cheaper than Chorus!) - would this be a good choice?

Saddle - I'm not a weight freak, if I need to lose 100 grams before a ride, I figure I'd rather take an extended "reading of the newspaper in the mens" than get an ultra rigid and uncomfortable seat. Currently riding a Selle Italia New Flite Ti and I've got no complaints.

I think the groupo decision will ultimately be made by budget, but the saddle is something I'm more concerned with.

Please feel free with any suggestions!

Cheers in advance.

PS - I'm good for handlebars & wheels - taking my 06 Eurus' to the new frame and use my hand builds on my old. I'm trying to not cannibalize my current ride so I could potentially use it as a commuter given gas prices!

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,528 Posts
As for the saddle, I'd stay with what you've got. If it fits you, why mess with something else? Gruppo/ Chorus isn't a bad choice. Not a lot heavier than Record and you'll save $$. Put that to a nice set of wheels:p

·
Registered
92 Posts
I used Red on my VXR and love it! I've got DT Swiss mon chasseral wheels, full red, stella azzurra bars, SLR XP saddle (white with my white bar tape and hoods...fashion is everything). You'll really enjoy this bike regardless of the group, trust me!

·
Cpark
2,106 Posts
rowboy said:
Ok - finally bit the bullet and my dream frame is on the way - a TIME Ulteam VXRS.

Now - I have a rough idea as to what groupo I'll use and absolutely NO idea what saddle I'll use.

Group wise I'd like to stay Campy - and ultimately it's a decision if my wallet can take the hit Record will do, or should I just go Chorus instead???

Also whats SRAM Red like? I've also noticed Dura Ace is relatively cheap (cheaper than Chorus!) - would this be a good choice?

Saddle - I'm not a weight freak, if I need to lose 100 grams before a ride, I figure I'd rather take an extended "reading of the newspaper in the mens" than get an ultra rigid and uncomfortable seat. Currently riding a Selle Italia New Flite Ti and I've got no complaints.

I think the groupo decision will ultimately be made by budget, but the saddle is something I'm more concerned with.

Please feel free with any suggestions!

Cheers in advance.

PS - I'm good for handlebars & wheels - taking my 06 Eurus' to the new frame and use my hand builds on my old. I'm trying to not cannibalize my current ride so I could potentially use it as a commuter given gas prices!
I built my VXR Proteam with DA and I like the set up a lot.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Any ideas as to when we should expect the new Campy 11's in?

I can probably hold out if it's only a month or two away, granted it'll be tough just watching that frame sit there till I get it all built up!

·
Registered
92 Posts
if we're gonna post some pics to help him with ideas

Here's my baby... it's an 06 (full carbon lugs including bb shell)

DT Swiss mon chasseral wheels
Full Red group
Time RXS carbon pedals
SLR XP saddle
Pro Race 3's
SRAM White hoods (not the cheesy foam type)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Again - please forgive my noobness in these matters but I'm about to pull the trigger on the groupset - I think I'll go record given that this is my dream bike and I've found a somewhat reasonable deal at approximately $1,600 for a full Record set up.

Now - I know what crank length to get, but I'm completely lost with the English/Itallian (this damn frame is French - so I'm guessing it'll be metric...) and what size front derailleur I’ll require in order to fit my frame.

Any and all help is appreciated on this one!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.