Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know nothing about bikes. I have always just used random mountain bikes on sale at the local store. I'm 6'5" and know I should be looking for a bike frame about 25" or 64cm. I just am wondering where to buy the bike? I'm mostly just going to be riding it to and from class just outside of Philadelphia, so I was thinking about a road bike. I'm not looking to spend more than like $700 on a bike mostly just because I'm not looking for anything fancy. Is there a good website to goto or should I just buy something locally?

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Most of us here like to send new bike riders to their local bicycle shops. The main reason that is so important is because they will fit you to the bike properly. Proper bike fit will cause you to ride the bike more and enjoy your time in the saddle. There are 800 dollar bicycles that are made of aluminum and would fit your description. Here's one of them...

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-US/bikes/model/defy.3/3882/37101/

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
I agree with Hooben. Fit trumps all else, and given your height you're going to need some assistance in the area of fit. My only reservation in recommending new is that you'll be using this bike on campus which isn't known to be the safest environment, so going with something used (ideally buying through an LBS) may be worth considering.

If OTOH you're confident you can keep the bike safe, then by all means visit some LBS's and test ride some new bikes.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts