Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello....I posted this on a forum on a nother site and received mixed review, and someone there said I should ask on here, so I am.

Hello, I'm about to buy my first road bike, and I had a couple questions.

From looking throught the forums, and different net resources, I had figured out a few things that are necessary. After searching for a couple days, I came across bikesdirect.com, and am now considering buying either the Motobecane Super Mirage (listed as $349) or the Motobecane MirageSport (listed as $400).

I however cannot find any reviews on either of these bikes, and am wary about buying something that I can not research. Do any of you know anything about, or have one of these bikes?

Alternatively, would you know a good bike in the 300-400 dollar price range that I could purchase? I have no qualms about getting a used bike, as long as it is in good condition. I am not looking to race, or be in some crazy triathalon, cross country, bike marathon thing. I am just looking for a solid bike that I can ride around San Francisco, and maybe take a couple rides to Marin on.

Any help you could give me would be much appreciated.

**Also, I am now hearing people say that the Motobecane Sport, and the Dawes Sport are nearly identical bikes.Although I can see that the Dawes is steel, and the moto is aluminum, is there really that much of a difference between the two? I am asking because you can buy the dawes on ebay for nearly $200 less than the Moto.

Thanks for your help!

·
Premium Member
21,853 Posts
Motobecane and Bikes Direct have a really bad reputation on this site.

Too much spamming going on so it is hard to get a good answer about their bikes. However if a company like Bikes Direct has managed to pi$$ off so many potential customers it likely says something about them and their products.

YMMV

Used is always a very good way to go in your price range. A really good way to go.

·
Registered
21,831 Posts
Alternative approach

At your price point, you would do MUCH better to buy a used bike. A 3-4 year old bike for $400 would be significantly better in terms of components, frame, wheels, and design. Figure out what the right size is, and then go looking for a used bike.

·
Registered
9,274 Posts
My guess is that the steel Dawes is a little bit heavier than the Moto, but I have not researched this to determine for sure. If you could get the right size, I'm sure either would be fine. However, MB1 and KI gave you good advice. Look used.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I still have yet to hear reasons why people dislike moto, and bikes direct. I just get general dislike for them for some reason. I can understand why someone completely serious about racing would want a $1000 bike, or a better name frame, but I am just looking for something to commute with, that will hold up to my general use.

The only thing that worries me is the completion and tuning that I will have to do with a mail order bike, but I feel I would be able to learn well enough to cover that..

I understand I won't have the same features as a more expensive bike, and I accept that, I don't need something top of the line.

If we were talking about cars, I would want a Honda. Something durable, reliable, and basic and inexpensive.

Can anyone tell me:

-Do they fall apart?

-Does the bike arrive messed up?

-Are the frame/shifters/brakes inadequate or cheap?

These are the main concerns I have at the moment.

·
You're Not the Boss of Me
7,749 Posts
The main complaint has been the second item on your list... Motos arriving "messed up" or at least poorly/ineptly built. So then you drop some coin for a bike build at your LBS. The other complaint has been the lack of accessible customer service by telephone.

They have their fans and their detractors. And Collectorvelo and I have already been 'round and 'round regarding our differing views of whether a new rider should be considering the bargain basement no-name stuff on eBay and won't repeat all that here. You'll find it in other threads.

Reasonable minds can, and do, differ on this stuff.

·
Scary Teddy Bear
14,801 Posts
Well

SFN00b said:
I still have yet to hear reasons why people dislike moto, and bikes direct. I just get general dislike for them for some reason. I can understand why someone completely serious about racing would want a $1000 bike, or a better name frame, but I am just looking for something to commute with, that will hold up to my general use.

The only thing that worries me is the completion and tuning that I will have to do with a mail order bike, but I feel I would be able to learn well enough to cover that..

I understand I won't have the same features as a more expensive bike, and I accept that, I don't need something top of the line.

If we were talking about cars, I would want a Honda. Something durable, reliable, and basic and inexpensive.

Can anyone tell me:

-Do they fall apart?

-Does the bike arrive messed up?

-Are the frame/shifters/brakes inadequate or cheap?

These are the main concerns I have at the moment.
ANYTIME you purchase a bike online and have it shipped, whether new, or used, it can arrive "messed up". If you are new to working on bicycles, you must factor in about 50-100 bucks for your local bike shop to set it up for you. BikesDirect has a bad rep cause of some of the shilling they have done on here in the past, I second the used vote. Also, 1000 dollars is kinda considered entry level for road biking. Everyone has different budgets and financial constraints, but someone who is serious about racing will spend 2-5 thousand easily. Also, make sure to budget for shorts, shoes, pump, patch repair kit, helmet, etc.etc.etc... Good Luck.

·
Banned
476 Posts
not my experience

I think that almost all online dealers - weather ebay guys or bikesdirect or someone else -- they all sell bikes that are boxed in dealer ready condition

that means if you know what you are doing it takes 20 minutes to set it up

if you do not know what you are doing - it takes an hour

i have purchased lots of bikes online - and guided many friends to doing it

i have never seen a messed up or problem bike - truth is a bike out of a box takes less time to setup than a childrens toy from target that says 'some assembly required'

certainly worth doing; if you save several hundred dollars

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am more inclined to believe you at this point.

I did all of the routine maintenance on my mountain bike when I was a kid, and while a road bike seems like it would be a MUCH more sensitive machine, it doesn't exactly look like brain surgery.

I also have been lucky enough to receive a plethora of information on sites like this one regarding what needs to be adjusted.

It seems like people have an issue with online purchases in general, and not neccessarily the Motobecane brand, or that specific site. Frankly though being a cost consiouse person, I don't forsee myself shelling out an additional couple hundred bucks just for the convenience of having all of the challenges taken care of for me.

Where would the fun be in that?

·
Banned
476 Posts
who are they?

you are correct
and most posts online that oppose online buying have a vested interest in buyers going to bike shop - that is they work in shops, work for suppliers who sell to shops, or they own bike shops

buying online just makes sense - in most cases

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.