Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to install a 105 5600 cassette with an Ultegra 6700 drivetrain and I can't figure out what is causing this. When I shift to the largest cog on the cassette and the large chainring up front and then freewheel it the chain drops down a few cogs. This only happens when freewheeling and everything is fine when spinning the crank forward. I know you're not supposed to crosschain and all that, but I can't figure out what the deal is here.

I used the big-big + 2 method to size the chain so that should be fine. I've played around with the high/low adjustment screws, b-tension screws to get the derailleur properly adjusted before installing the chain. Barrel adjuster doesn't seem to correct the problem. Is there an issue using a 105 cassette with 6700? Is there anything else I could try? Help a dude out!!!

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,917 Posts
the issue is drivetrains aren't designed to be pedalled backwards. when you pedal the bike normally, the derailleur puts the chain in the correct position to go onto the cog you have selected w/ the shifter. the chain then leaves the cog and goes to the chainring. if you pedal it backwards, the there is nothing mechanical that places the chain in the right position to stay on that particular cog, so it tries to find the straightest line to the cogs on it's own. limit screws do nothing to 'adjust' the performance of your shifting, they only limit the travel of the derailleur at the extreme low and high ends. the barrel adjuster will take care of cable tension and how accurately your shifting performs.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.