Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking at disc wheel lately, such as hed, zipp, renn, falcon sports, xlab. I want a true disc and now a cover over a standard spoked wheel. I was considering the hed standard disc but I am worried about the weight of the wheel at 1400 g compared to others that around around 1100g. Also there was a test performed at the hed disc had a higher lateral deflection compared to other wheels and wanted to know if this is a problem? Also is the weight of 300 to 400g that bike of a difference. I know you will get faster accelerations with the light wheel, but if the road is fairly flat the weight of the wheel really does not matter that much. Also I remember that maybe you might a disc wheel that has more mass due to having a higher moment of interia. So it takes longer to spin the disc wheel up to speed, but once it is spining, it wants to stay at that speed. So if a gust of wind comes or a small hill, you will stay at a higher speed then a lighter disc, because it has less moment of interia.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/rinard/wheel/data.htm

I was really looking at lenticular discs wheel since it seems that everything I am reading it seems they are a little faster wheel. I want to know if anyone has any ridden the hed disc, xlab disc, pro disc wheel and know how they compare.

It seems like the zipp discs are good disc wheel but dont really think they are worth all the extra money, and not sure about those dimples on the wheel but must assume they do something or else they would not put them on the wheel. The renn disc look nice, but dont know how must lateral deflection they have and also they are flat disc wheels and wanted a lenticular disc wheel.

I have been doing time trial and just bought a hed 3 tri-spoke wheel. I want to gain some speed and be on an even playing field with other people that have the aero equipment, plus I really like the look of the aero wheels on the bike.

Well any information that you can provide would be great.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
You said you just bought a Hed3. I'm assuming it's for the front?

Here's how I see it:
1. If you are on a budget, get the Renn. It gets the job done cost effectively.
2. If you are willing to fork out a little more, get the Hed disc.
3. If you are willing to shell-out a little more than that, get the Hed lite
4. If you are in a hilly area and have a lot of money, get the Zipp. It's not cost effective, and the hub requires more work, but it's the best for hilly areas.
I don't know about the X-lab.

1 and 3 are the most sensible choices, though #2 isn't bad, particularly in a flat area. Don't worry about the lack of stiffness in a Hed; they aren't that flexy, and as long as you aren't running your brake pads right next to the rim, it doesn't matter.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just curious; why are you excluding a wheel cover? Craig Willet did a wind tunnel test and the results were surprising. You can find it at www.biketechreview.com. Plus, you can get a nice set of deep aero wheels for racing and then get a custom cover from www.wheelbuilder.com and instantly turn them into a sweet TT set. Also can be used with a powertap.

If you really want a disc; I'd get a Renn...awesome customer service and for the price, can't be beat.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
second on the wheel cover

Anaerobic_Nut said:
Just curious; why are you excluding a wheel cover? Craig Willet did a wind tunnel test and the results were surprising. You can find it at www.biketechreview.com. Plus, you can get a nice set of deep aero wheels for racing and then get a custom cover from www.wheelbuilder.com and instantly turn them into a sweet TT set. Also can be used with a powertap.

If you really want a disc; I'd get a Renn...awesome customer service and for the price, can't be beat.
This is what I use cheap as it gets. I have it cut to go on my power tap wheel and its aero as regular disc.

·
Rollin' Stones
2,560 Posts
3rd the cover

You can get them custom cut to any rim. They could be lighter than a true disc, depending on the rim you use, with all the aero benefits. I got mine through www.wheelbuilder.com great customer service and a great deal.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts