Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am building up a new 11 speed bike and need some 11 speed wheels. I'm 180lbs and like to climb.

Fulcrum zeros - I am currently riding campy eurus the 2008 model (before the new hub design) wheels and I love these wheels to death. Strong, light without any flex. I like the new hub design. About 1435grams

Hand built - white industries hub, pacenti sl 23, 28/24. cx-rays. spoke count can change, may go higher spoke count. About 1484grams

I think both wheel sets will be around 900 - 1000 bucks +/-. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
319 Posts
Go with the hand builts. Especially if you have a local builder who can build them properly and service them (avoiding the hassle of shipping).

The Pacenti SL23, CX Ray, and White Ind hubs are a great choice.

At 180, you could go to a heavier spoke like the Sapim Race on the drive side rear ... but not a big deal.

I love the silence (and price at CRC) of Shimano rear hubs, but nothing wrong with the White Ind hubs...

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
If you want to make sure the wheels last longer and have less truing maintenance on street riding conditions I would go up one more step in the spoke count; if your racing and want the lightest possible thing then 28/24 would be fine.

But I've said this stuff before about increasing spoke counts for more reliable wheels and gotten screamed at, so you need to decide what's best for you.

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
But I've said this stuff before about increasing spoke counts for more reliable wheels and gotten screamed at.
Don't worry. Stand your ground. If someone doesn't like your advice then they know what to do - ignore it. Disagreeing is fine; anything else isn't. You have as much right to post your opinion as anyone - as long as it's within the forum rules.

·
Daft Punk built my hotrod
2,828 Posts
I scored my Ksyrium SLs for $700. Love 'em. Super happy with my R-Sys SL wheels too. Light, stiff, no problems.

I've been impressed with Fulcrum and Campy Shamals too. If it were me, I'd go for the Fulcrums.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
If you want to make sure the wheels last longer and have less truing maintenance on street riding conditions I would go up one more step in the spoke count; if your racing and want the lightest possible thing then 28/24 would be fine.

But I've said this stuff before about increasing spoke counts for more reliable wheels and gotten screamed at, so you need to decide what's best for you.
I can't see why, sounds like a really good idea to me...

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
I am building up a new 11 speed bike and need some 11 speed wheels. I'm 180lbs and like to climb.

Hand built - white industries hub, pacenti sl 23, 28/24. cx-rays. spoke count can change, may go higher spoke count. About 1484grams
Why the CX-rays? Specially if you are thinking about a higher spoke count.
IMO, for your application, I would beef up the spokes to Race before considering adding more. Not that i disagree with a 32/28 count but I consider the rim you chose and 28/24 to be more than adequate for most occasions unless you need to build a wheel that needs to withstand a couple of broken spokes and keep on rolling.
In addition, consider that the more Rays you stuck up the less of their aero benefit you will realize. If you chose Rays for their weight savings, you could do better looking elsewhere. Lastly, and again IMO, I consider the cx-rays to be a race day spoke when laced for no more than a 24/20 arrangement.

Regardless what you decide to do with the spokes, If you lace them on the T-11 I would at least go with Race on the DS to help the NDS tension a bit more.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Why the CX-rays? Specially if you are thinking about a higher spoke count.
IMO, for your application, I would beef up the spokes to Race before considering adding more. Not that i disagree with a 32/28 count but I consider the rim you chose and 28/24 to be more than adequate for most occasions unless you need to build a wheel that needs to withstand a couple of broken spokes and keep on rolling.
In addition, consider that the more Rays you stuck up the less of their aero benefit you will realize. If you chose Rays for their weight savings, you could do better looking elsewhere. Lastly, and again IMO, I consider the cx-rays to be a race day spoke when laced for no more than a 24/20 arrangement.

Regardless what you decide to do with the spokes, If you lace them on the T-11 I would at least go with Race on the DS to help the NDS tension a bit more.
Thanks for suggestion. Good point on the 28/24 with thicker spokes, I may go that route. However, my original questions is how this build would compared to the new 2013 Fulcrum zeros? I am riding the older 08 Campy Eurus and they are pretty bomb proof. I'm riding the Eurus as my everyday training wheels.

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
Thanks for suggestion. Good point on the 28/24 with thicker spokes, I may go that route. However, my original questions is how this build would compared to the new 2013 Fulcrum zeros? I am riding the older 08 Campy Eurus and they are pretty bomb proof. I'm riding the Eurus as my everyday training wheels.
I think the Fulcrums will be somewhat lighter, maybe a bit stiffer and more difficult to service. The hub does not compare favorably to the T-11 and the rim may develop stress cracks across the drillings. If you happen to brake a spoke you are definitely walking home.
I do have a set of Racing 1 which I occasionally use and like although I would never pay $US retail for them; I did find them at 45% off from UK stores.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.