Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a runner by trade, but i have recently become interested in road biking through my friend who bought a bike to ride down the west coast. i went to my local bike store with the intent of test riding a trek 1000 or giant OCR3, but the salesman pushed me to the trek 7.5 FX, more of a flat bar road bike/hybrid. He told me that this would be a better entry level road bike due to its finer components than the trek 1000 or OCR3. I am rather skeptical. Is it better to start on an entry level road bike and either get a new bike or new components when I grow out of the entry level components, or would it be more safe to buy a bike like the 7.5 FX as a starter road bike and get a higher level road bike if i really start to love the sport? HELP!

·
Registered
339 Posts
What kind of riding do you plan on doing? It looks like the Trek 7.5 FX is a hybrid with mountain bike gearing so if you are mainly going to be doing road riding especially if you plan to do group rides or dabble in races then you would want to avoid that and go for a true road bike.

How much to spend depends on how much you are willing to commit to a sport that you may end up not liking plus for your first bike you don't want to spend too much as at that stage you don't know what you like and what you don't.

Did the salesman listen to your needs first and then recommend the hybrid or did he just flat out recommend it? If it is the latter than I'd find another LBS...

·
Registered
284 Posts
I was looking at flat bar bikes a couple of years ago when I made the move from MTN to road. To make a long story short, I am so very happy I decided against it. Of course a lot depends on what kind of riding you plan on doing. However, for all-around fun, training, maybe racing, go drop bars. It sounds like you're in decent shape already, so even less reason for flats. I started with a cyclocross bike and love it 'til this day.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I am no expert, but was in a very similar situation as you a year ago, and conceptualized it like this. I have been 4x4ing for many years, and want to start racing cars in autocrosses. Does that mean that I should get a Camry over a sports car. The camry may have a better quality engine than sports car x, but does that mean it will be better at autocrossing? It is all in the use, it is not like you need to go gradually into a road bike. Do you need to go gradually into a MTB? Hope this helps.

·
Registered
339 Posts
A flat bar may be comfortable on a 2-4 day trip but by that stage you are going to be hating the mountain bike gearing especially if the others in your group are riding road bikes.

For a first road bike if you are relatively sure you are going to get decent use out of it I would recommend something with at least 105 level components or possibly Tiagra, 105 is good enough to not need to upgrade down the line and the group set is one thing you don't want to upgrade unless you have a top of the line frame.

·
Registered
58 Posts
If you're planning on doing longer rides, and riding at faster paces then I would suggest going with a dedicated road bike, particularly if you are already fit and will want to go fast. The drop bars of a traditional road bike give you more hand positions, and on longer rides this makes longer rides more comfortable. Also, if you're strong and fit and are going to be riding with folks who are already riding on the road at decent speeds you'll want to be able to keep up with them, the gearing and aerodynamics will help you to go faster.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.