129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone help me date this Merckx? Also looking for model Thanks Steve

·
Registered
652 Posts
paramountz said:
Help date this Merckx
No problem. I'll pick her up Saturday, say - 8am okay? - and I'll show her a grand time. I'll even bring along my own saddle and seatpost for when I ride her, because you never can be too safe.

Grrrrrrrr,
2F2F

·
Registered
712 Posts
frame mid/late 80's w/ early/ mid 90's mix components.

you need rear dropout adjusters, the axle should be just ahead of the r derailer pivot per campy for best shifting.

paramountz said:
Can anyone help me date this Merckx? Also looking for model Thanks Steve

just one pepsi and she wouldn't give me one

p.s. i went to your institutional learning facilities,

and i saw the tendencies' show palo alto '85ish.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Those are older (80s) chorus. The bike is a repaint. The flat top fork crown should be some kind of clue as to model.

·
Bald Bastard
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
St

I saw Suicidal quite a few times in the 80's - 90's. As for the bike most people think late 80's with a early 90's campy mix. I do not believe this bike to have been repainted if you look closer at the close up pics you cvan see it need some TLC.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I worked for a few Merckx dealers in the 80s-90s, and never saw those colors. The fade looks a little suspicious too. I'm sure there is a Merckx expert out there who could tell you for sure.

I'm not on drugs, I was just thinking.

·
On your left!
1,299 Posts
I thought the same thing...

bobj said:
Those are older (80s) chorus. The bike is a repaint. The flat top fork crown should be some kind of clue as to model.
when I saw the pic the other day.

I am no expert, but have been a fan since early 80's

·
Bald Bastard
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
why bobj why?

I was looking at the paint closer and look what I found? Can this be fixed? I had a feeling this was to good to be true.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
It doesn't look displaced, so it probably could be repaired by a competent frame builder. Natch, that would mean a repaint, etc.

·
Beetpull DeLite
12,748 Posts
paramountz said:
I was looking at the paint closer and look what I found? Can this be fixed? I had a feeling this was to good to be true.
I've had a similar spot in the rear seat tube cluster welded back together - no big deal. Such are the advantages to steel frames.

Call around to some of the local welding places and just ask.

·
Registered
62 Posts
surely having the lug re-brazed would be preferable. Just pray that the seatstay caps are brass-brazed and the seatstay/ST lug is silver brazed (so that the joint comes apart at a lower temperature, while the cap stays on). It's the sort of job a competent framebuilder would just love to do.

oh, and I think this is my first post in this forum - hi !

- Joel

1 - 13 of 13 Posts