Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Neophyte
2,190 Posts
1. You linked to the wrong page for the Nishiki, guessing you meant to link to this page:
Nishiki Adult Maricopa Road Bike | DICK'S Sporting Goods

2. If you feel like you are eventually going to get more serious about road cycling, you may want to start a bit higher up the chain, and go to a bike store, not Dick's. Understandably we all have our budgets, but buying one of these may just turn out to be a waste of money if you want something better very soon.

3. Everybody will tell you fit matters most, for instance if you are 6 feet tall and Dick's only has size 50 Nishikis left, don't even think about trying to make that work.

If you're new to all of this, you may get better response about shopping for first road bike in the beginner forum (and mods should consider moving this thread to that subforum).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1. You linked to the wrong page for the Nishiki, guessing you meant to link to this page:

2. If you feel like you are eventually going to get more serious about road cycling, you may want to start a bit higher up the chain, and go to a bike store, not Dick's. Understandably we all have our budgets, but buying one of these may just turn out to be a waste of money if you want something better very soon.

3. Everybody will tell you fit matters most, for instance if you are 6 feet tall and Dick's only has size 50 Nishikis left, don't even think about trying to make that work.

If you're new to all of this, you may get better response about shopping for first road bike in the beginner forum (and mods should consider moving this thread to that subforum).
thanks for the link and I am 5'7 and 30" inseam. I'm looking for a road bike for fitness and casual riding. Hence the entry level bikes. Thanks for the input

·
Registered
6,189 Posts
I went into Dick's and saw 2 entry level road bikes and wanted some opinions to which is the better? or doesn't matter? They are both around the same price. Thanks for any input

1. Nishiki Maricopa

2. Diamondback Century 1

Diamondback Bicycles - Century 1
Before you go to Dicks and drop some money on a bike, I'd suggest you go to a local bike shop, (bikes only) and go talk with them. They might have a low end road bike that will work for you, or even a nice used bike. They can also help with places to ride, do and don't, proper attire, etc.

If you are going to get into cycling, you might as well, go talk with a cyclist. It might cost a little more, but you will be a far better place.

Just my two cents

·
Bill Dobie
83 Posts
Between these two go with the DB. You get the water bottle cages free and compact double crank over the Nishiki triple. You probably need a bigger bike than the 50cm Nishiki.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,452 Posts
I agree that big box sports stores are not a good place to buy a road bike. You may pay a little more in a local bike shop, but you will get a good fit there. That is, a bike shop will put you and your new bike on a trainer, watch you pedal and dial in your fit.

Remember, if your bike doesn't fit properly, it will hurt you and you will stop riding it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys for all the input. I did not pursue any of those the fore mentioned bikes. I am now on the lookout for something within my budget. Hopefully, I heard I can get a century 2 with 105 components for a good deal down the line. But otherwise, I am lurking and learning.

What's the consensus on beginner bikes? Used or put in the money for something decent?

·
Neophyte
2,190 Posts
If you're comfortable doing some of your own mechanic work buying used is great. Craigslist and eBay can both produce screaming deals and you could find 105 or even Ultegra equipped bikes for the price you were looking at.

If you are really brand new to biking then save a little money and get a new bike which will come with some free adjustments / tune-ups from bike store and have less chance of having an unnoticed issue at purchase.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.