Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Help deciding on an entry bike....

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  matty125 
#1 ·
Hello everyone, Im an avid bike rider and looking to get into road biking. I have narrowed my choices to a few local selections. I absolutely need a comfortable bike, I am also NOT looking for something like SCOTT bikes as I feel to hunched over. Im not able to ride these.
Taking comfortability, (Im fused at C5-C6 and have 6 knee surgeries), and the bike weight as my main consideration, Im looking at a Pinarello FP3 w/ fulcrums and Shimano Ultegras, its 19lbs, but looks sexy as all hell. cost 2399 EUROS
The other bike is a Store brand bike offered by Stadler bikes here in Germany. Its called DYNAMICS RSL Carbon Team and comes with Dura ACE's an FSO Crank (SLK light) and Citec 3000 Aeros rims, it weights 16 lbs. cost 2599 EUROS
Both these bikes feel good and sure responsive. It sounds funny, but I can feel the 3 pound difference even on flatground.
What do you guys/ladies suggest? I will ride a mix and Love downhills I just cant be in such a racy fatiguing position offered by some other well known bikes. I ride about 100-300 K a week

#3 ·
The bike in the picture you posted is set-up in PRECISELY the manner that someone with fused vertebrae and knee problems should not be wanting. Large bar-saddle drop, flipped stem, frame angles etc. The same is likely true for the Pinarello you looked at.

Get yourself a professional fitting. Then look at bikes. And as the prior poster said, a 2500€ bike is NOT an entry-level bike. You can get a nice bike for half-that coin or less.

#4 ·
I maybe wrong. Are you are referring to carbon fibre entry bike? I agree with you that the Pinarello FP3 is absolutely gorgeous. However, Pinarellos are not the lightest bikes around. Most of their CF bikes are stiff and responsive, yet forgiving.

Like what Marc said, get a professional fitting, ride and choose for yourself. You may want to explore other brands, models and compare. At the end of the day, you are going to be the one on the bike. Opinions and ride preferences are extremely subjective to every individual.

#5 ·
entry level and ultegra/dura ace do not go together. Those are pretty high end.

If you're looking at carbon fiber & entry level, check out the Synapse carbon 5 (CF + 105) or Carbon 4 (CF + Rivals) or other models with comparable specs from specialized.

#6 ·
Marc said:
The bike in the picture you posted is set-up in PRECISELY the manner that someone with fused vertebrae and knee problems should not be wanting. Large bar-saddle drop, flipped stem, frame angles etc. The same is likely true for the Pinarello you looked at.

Get yourself a professional fitting. Then look at bikes. And as the prior poster said, a 2500€ bike is NOT an entry-level bike. You can get a nice bike for half-that coin or less.

:) These are all great replies!!!! Very appreciated.
Even though the Dynamics is a racy bike it feels pretty good. With the Stem, I imagine I can get one thats not "flipped" right which would not hunch me over so bad?

#7 ·
matty125 said:
:) These are all great replies!!!! Very appreciated.
Even though the Dynamics is a racy bike it feels pretty good. With the Stem, I imagine I can get one thats not "flipped" right which would not hunch me over so bad?
Most any bike shop will "fit" you when you make a purchase. That includes getting you a stem of the proper length and rise.

Where are you located? I sure like those Dynamics bikes, but have never seen one before.

#8 ·
frpax said:
Most any bike shop will "fit" you when you make a purchase. That includes getting you a stem of the proper length and rise.

Where are you located? I sure like those Dynamics bikes, but have never seen one before.
Im Currently in Germany (Military Service) these bikes are created by a bike company named Stadler. I was really impressed by the clean look of the Dynamics. The cables are routed through the front of the frames as well and these bikes really show the Craftsmanship Germans are known for. The Company will also custom build any bike brand from Cervalo's to Dynamics. Here is a link to the page.
http://www.zweirad-stadler.de/Fahrrad_Motorrad_Zubehoer/fahrrad.php?VID=1275413207Y86p4DIITw5fySz4&naviid=130"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.