Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be buying a new rig in the near future to do some training, the Pan-Mass Challenge (charity ride for cancer) and maybe some local racing.

I am kind of big for a cyclist at 6'04" 210 pounds but am pretty athletic (I am a rower and competed in the 1996 Olympics). I used to know a bit more about cycling and raced as a Cat II road and Elite mtn before fully dedicating myself to rowing. Also, I was a bike messenger here in Boston while in grad school and my current primary form of transportation is a single speed road bike (a steel "Slim Chance" track frame -my dream bike would be a IF Ti Crown Jewel, but I digress...), so I am a pretty decent wrench. In other words, I am not worried about ordering online and having to assemble the bike myself.

Anyway, I am pretty confused about how much equipment has all changed in the last 10-15 years.

I can afford $1500 +/- a few $$.

OK, here are the bikes I have been looking at:
http://www.flyte1.com/soar/janette/store/srs2_bike.asp
Looks very cool, but there is a lot of confusing info out there about how/why the company split with Airborne...

http://www.rscycle.com/s.nl/sc.7/category.53/it.A/id.7438/.f
Also looks very nice but are there any better pics available? Or if there is someone out there who has one, how is the finish?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Carbon-Shimano-Ultegra-10-Speed-Road-Bike-X-L-New-NIB_W0QQitemZ7230884179QQcategoryZ98084QQcmdZViewItem
I like the "stealth" aspect to this bike but am also a little worried. These bikes have been on eBay for a long time and never seem to sell (or are there just a ton of them?). Any experience with this maker? (Velorazzo? or maybe Vincolo? -hard to tell).

I am also confused about sizing. I have always ridden 62cm c-c. How do you size for "compact" geometry?

Thanks!

-RS

·
Registered
72 Posts
Check out Wanta Frames I think its at wantaframes.com
good prices and materials. May be worth a look and a good starting place....

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mav616 said:
Check out Wanta Frames I think its at wantaframes.com
good prices and materials. May be worth a look and a good starting place....
They look very sweet, but a bit out of my price range.
-RS

·
Registered
671 Posts
You should consider the Motobecane le Champion SL. The MSRP is $2600 but bikesdirect.com is selling them for $1295. The bike is alum with an Ultegra drivetrain and weighs in at about 15lbs. At first I thought this deal was too good to be true, but after alot of research and reading alot of reviews. I have decided that I will most likely buy one pretty soon (when i get the money).

·
Registered
277 Posts
what teffisk said is certainly worth looking into.

CO Cyclist always has a decent bike for ~$1700 that I'd take a look at if I were you.

Another bike to look at would be the Cannondale CAAD 8 - either the R1000 or R800 may be in your price range.

I'd be suspect of getting a no-name bike off of the Internet from a company that's not well known.

·
classiquesklassieker
3,106 Posts
Rocket-Sauce said:
I am also confused about sizing. I have always ridden 62cm c-c. How do you size for "compact" geometry?

Thanks!

-RS
Roughly speaking, to convert from compact to standard, go by the "virtual top tube length", that is obtained by drawing an imaginary horizontal top tube from where the top tube meets the head tube, and extending the length of the seat tube.

That said though, 62 cm c-c is not precise enough for one to make an accurate description. It will depend at least on what the seat tube angle is, and preferably also your saddle position, and handlebar position. Think about it this way: if you know that you already had a good fit in a previous bike and that your preferred fit hasn't changed over the years, you neeed to know where your saddle, cranks, and handlebar are located relative to each other. So just saying that your frame is 62 cm c-c is not really useful, honestly.

Good luck!

·
Registered
432 Posts
I like the Flyte bike and think it is a good company. That's just my opinion. You must be able to make your own choice. Anyone else's opinion is just that, their opinion. I would think the Ebay frame is a great bargain in carbon. Many carbon bikes are made in Taiwan and are re-branded by many bike makers. The frames are excellent quality. A bike is a complete machine, though, and there are many, many frames that are suitable.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I was looking at that 10 day sale as well. It seems like a good deal. I need some new wheels for use on rollers anyway, and wonder if it would be worth it to piece the rest of it out on ebay. Not sure if the crank would be any better than my Ultegra though. looks cooler.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
Have you considered anything used? The resale value of bikes sucks, to put it mildly. That means you might be able to pick up a very nice machine, for very few bucks.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Did anyone answer this guy's question?

Like how have bikes changed in 15 years? In a word, Alot. First off, frames are now available in 4 or 5 different materials with some mixing of materials. A large majority of frames are imported now from Asia and branded by a so called manufacturer, in reality they are nothing more than an importer.

Components have changed quite a bit too, we are now up to 10 cogs in the rear, that is becoming the norm these days. STI shifters are now the dominant shifting method(combined brake and shifter in one unit) and everything has gotten lighter. I would have to believe sub 17lbs is slowly becoming the average weight for a better road bike. Wheels are much lighter and just as strong as older models. Headsets and stems, where do I start with that whole change?

The Flyte/Airborne thing; Airborne was a bike company, strictly internet sales, you speced the bike to your wants, then Huffy bought them. Then Airborne original owner bought them back and went mainstream selling by 'net and bikeshops. Then Airborne decided that they did not want to pay the licensing fee for the name Airborne and at the same time decided they did not want to be mainstream any longer and pulled out of all shops and re-emerged as Flyte, coming full circle internet only sales. I have an Airborne, I am satisfied with the bike I bought from my LBS.

The compact geometry thing is a little tricky. The purpose for compact is to save production cost by making about 4 frame sizes as opposed to 8? Maybe? Same with the fork/headset thing. One fork fits all, you cut to correct size. Some bike brands do compact frames by 2cm increments, like Flyte/Airborne. Giant does the s,m,l,xl thing. You could use Colorado Cyclist or Wrench science websites to get a fit idea.

Since you are just getting back into it and the price range you threw out there, I'm thinking aluminum frame with the new 105 10 speed equipment and 32 spoke rims (probably fairly strong pedal masher) like Mavic Open Pro wheels. Do the fit things and find out what size you need, fit the budget ito the picture. Felt and Fuji are 2 other bikes that come to mind to look at.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the help.

The last "real" road bike I had was a Merckx SLX frame with all Dura Ace (but the wheels). It was circa 1989 or 1990. Wheels were 7 speed free-wheel (not cassett!) bullseye hubs and Mavic tubular rims. Downtube SIS shifters. Single pivot SLR brakes. It was considered very light at 19.8 pounds.

Had to sell it in order to help finance my Olympic dream. :eek:
(I think I paid ~$1500 for it new)

Anyway, I found a deal on a Pinarello Galileo with Ultegra and MOst (Pinarello's house brand) from a local bike shop for $1700.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts