Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:mad: Today after cleat adjustment one of the threads of the DMT magnesium soles stripped. The shoes are practically new. Is there a way to repair the thing??

I guess no manufacturer would honour this as a warranty issue notwithstanding I used all the care (greased, alternately tightened bolts; finally with a torque wrench at 2 Nm)
 

·
Big is relative
Joined
·
11,887 Posts
LO^OK said:
:mad: Today after cleat adjustment one of the threads of the DMT magnesium soles stripped. The shoes are practically new. Is there a way to repair the thing??

I guess no manufacturer would honour this as a warranty issue notwithstanding I used all the care (greased, alternately tightened bolts; finally with a torque wrench at 2 Nm)
Can you get to the sole from inside the shoe? If you can, you can drill out the hole and put a threaded insert in from the back. An LBS should have some in their cleat hardware junk drawer.
 

·
Banned forever.....or not
Joined
·
24,427 Posts
Many shoes have replaceable inserts. Pull out the insole and see if there are partially cut out areas that are above the inserts. It happened to me once on my Shimano shoes. I was too lazy to order the insert for that shoe, from my LBS, so I took a two hole mountain bike SPD insert, that I had, cut it in half, and just used the single threaded insert.
Shimano shoes come with a three hole look spaced insert. I just cut out the stripped part.
If you have the partially cut out areas, you might have to use a exacto knife to finish cutting the access port.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for replies. Sadly no provision for inserts or cut outs. :( Removed the insole but beneath in the anterior part of the shoe is a glued textile insert I yet hesitate to tear apart.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,934 Posts
DMT Distributor Gita Sports SHOULD warranty this. These were an issues on the Mag Shoes. I think they are discontinued as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DIRT BOY said:
DMT Distributor Gita Sports SHOULD warranty this. These were an issues on the Mag Shoes. I think they are discontinued as well.
I am not in the US but in Belgium. Regardless do you mean there were a lot of issues like this in the past?

I know the model is no longer in production though mine are still under warranty. Just not sure the manufacturer (or distributor) would honour stripping a thread as a warranty issue. I am afraid they may brush it aside as "user mishandling".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,934 Posts
LO^OK said:
I am not in the US but in Belgium. Regardless do you mean there were a lot of issues like this in the past?

I know the model is no longer in production though mine are still under warranty. Just not sure the manufacturer (or distributor) would honour stripping a thread as a warranty issue. I am afraid they may brush it aside as "user mishandling".
Yes, there was. I had a pair and sold them for that reason.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,638 Posts
Helicoil

LO^OK said:
I am not in the US but in Belgium. Regardless do you mean there were a lot of issues like this in the past?

I know the model is no longer in production though mine are still under warranty. Just not sure the manufacturer (or distributor) would honour stripping a thread as a warranty issue. I am afraid they may brush it aside as "user mishandling".
If you can't get them repaired/replaced on warranty, a helicoil is a pretty simple solution, especially since you have metal soles. A helicoil (US terminology, may be called something different in Flanders or Walloon parts of Belgium) is a pre-threaded gizmo where you drill a larger hole where your stripped thread was, pound the helicoil into the hole, and the center of it is threaded the same as your original hole. A good hardware store, or maybe even bike shop, whill know what you're talking about if your describe it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
919 Posts
And if you can't use a helicoil in Mg (I don't know how easy it would be to thread), you could try to epoxy a steel insert (maybe a thin nut or even a helicoil insert) into the sole from the inside. Just be sure you have carefully prepared (cleaned) the surfaces to be joined.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top