Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a Schwinn road bike that I was given to a while ago. I was looking to selling it and buying a new road bike. Problem is I don't know what model my bike is or what it's worth. I attached 3 images of the bike.
Any help?

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
40,838 Posts
I own a Schwinn road bike that I was given to a while ago. I was looking to selling it and buying a new road bike. Problem is I don't know what model my bike is or what it's worth. I attached 3 images of the bike.
Any help?

Thanks!
It's a Varsity, looks mid-Seventies, and not worth dick.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
bubkis. Use it as a commuter bike or give it to some college kid who needs transportation. I owned a Schwinn Continental II from the time I was 13 until the time I was 26, basically a Varsity plus and while I nostalgia over it sometimes and the thing was bullet proof and I rode it like a mountain bike at times I'd never want to go back to it and I suspect other than someone who wants a bike to back and forth to work or school and doesn't want to pay for a bike you'll find no takers. These bikes are usually left at the curb and taken by those who just want two wheels and don't care about much else.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for your responses. I had no idea or information on what the value is of the bike. Your responses help me with a better idea now, thank you! :)

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Good way to find value is to go to eBay sold lists, and see what they sold for.

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
take it outside on a sunny day. put it in the shade in front of some nice looking fence or tree. take drive-side pics. offer it for $50 on craigs. accept whatever.

if the rims are aluminum (use a magnet if you need to), the wheelset might be worth $40 by itself.

·
Registered
11,089 Posts
value...?

see if there's a metals recycler in your area.

personally, I wouldn't waste the gasoline taking it there tho.

just give it away...it's a low-end beater in sketchy condition.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
If I ran across one like that, and it fit me, I'd pay 40 or 50 bucks (if the wheels were useable) and turn it into a fixed-gear commuter. If the wheels were no good, so all I saved was the frame and crankset, 25 bucks.

·
Russian Troll Farmer
3,424 Posts
It's a Varsity, looks mid-Seventies, and not worth dick.
To be honest, the value in this context depends on what dick is worth in your area. I understand there is a street in my city where it goes fairly cheaply......

·
Russian Troll Farmer
3,424 Posts
BTW, in the future when somebody has a bike that "ain't worth ****", you should instead consider using these following terms:

1)"squat"

2)"bupkis"

3)"ugatz"

4)"gornischt"

I personally usualy use #3, occasionally #2, but I may be showing my regionality. #4 may be a bit too Yiddish for some.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,440 Posts
If you sell it, post it as "vintage" or "collector's item". If you have the time and motivation, clean it up, polish the frame, etc. There are old bike enthusiasts out there who would love it. You just need to find them. You won't get a whole lot for it - under $100, but it will go to a good home - maybe a collector who will restore it. Craigslist or eBay.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts