Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am aware of the RoadID system, but several months ago a guy was telling me about a system that allow you to update your profile online with the route details that you are following. This type of system seems much better than what RoadID has to offer.

My wife is always asking me where I am riding and how to find me if she does not hear from me if I don't return within <x> hours. I have created route sheets that she can use, but having this info online would be much better.

Ideas/Comments?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have the RoadID interactive and it has a section that could be updated daily. I use it when I'm on vacation to put in the hotel information where I am staying and other route stuff.

·
I didn't even own a cat..
594 Posts
I have road ID. I haven't used that update because I thinki as long as they know the contact info that is the most important

·
Registered
403 Posts
I'm planning on just getting dog tags including a URL for my personal website. (www.myname.com/ICE) - that way I can put any type and amount of information that I'd like.

$5 for tags, $8 yearly for domain, server expenses are negligible since I can put it on a work related server that's monitored 24/7 for failure.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I carry a phone in my jersey pocket, if they want to reach me, they can call me. If I need them, then I will call. When going out on rides it is not unusual for me to change my route so I dont depend on route info. Last year I purchased a very slim orange plastic thing of a wallet. (I think it was called a jimie?) anyway, in it I keep a copy of license for id and other important info. It works.

·
Registered
154 Posts
:cool: I'm completely covered....

Cell Phone with not only ICE contact #, but also personal information listed as well---

Bicycle Tag around my neck with ICE information & personal data---

Cage Rocket with ICE information, along with copy of ID/medical card/emergency info---

In case of an emergency, one can never overdo it....I figure if I'm separated from my ride or vice versa, the important information can be found in more than just one place...:thumbsup:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
https://xtremesportsid.com/main/content/view/81/98/

I found what I was looking for. I do like the idea of create a website, but the features of having xtremesportsid is what I am looking for, without the hassle of maintaining a website.

I can use the whereami feature and point it to the route I am using on map my ride and my fam will automagically get an email with my rout plans, very nice I must say!

The price is right too!

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Get the wrist ID

A few years ago I had a bad accident resulting in a concussion. I had Road ID tags on but the EMS never thought to look under the zipped up jersey. My wife ended up calling the police, 4 towns and in the area I live before finding out I was in the hospital.

Dutch77 said:
I'm planning on just getting dog tags including a URL for my personal website. (www.myname.com/ICE) - that way I can put any type and amount of information that I'd like.

$5 for tags, $8 yearly for domain, server expenses are negligible since I can put it on a work related server that's monitored 24/7 for failure.

·
Registered
2 Posts
boneman said:
A few years ago I had a bad accident resulting in a concussion. I had Road ID tags on but the EMS never thought to look under the zipped up jersey. My wife ended up calling the police, 4 towns and in the area I live before finding out I was in the hospital.

I have a roadid wrist band in yellow so the contact information is right there on my arm in a bright color. it's almost impossible to miss. For cooler weather I wear either armbands or a UA coldgear compression top, either of which I can put the roadid band on the outside of. The only time it's covered is when I have a heavier jacket or wind/rain shell on and those would almost certainly be removed by the medics so I'l fairly certain they'll find the info on me.

Bill

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
I wear dog tags, in the two serious cycling accidents I've experienced I was conscious. If you are unconscious they will probably check you for I.D. when you are admitted to a hospital. I pack an old expired drivers license in my jersey pocket. A wrist I.D. might be better as it is more visible. I think the only time they might check for dog tags is if they are trying to identify your body..
Some guys tape I.D. info on their helmets, but sometimes your helmet is damaged if you go down...actually I'm more worried about what happens to my bike in the aftermath then what happens to me..

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,427 Posts
"My wife is always asking me where I am riding and how to find me if she does not hear from me if I don't return within hours."

This is the main reason I go on long training rides.
Sometimes you just don't want to be found.

·
I ride in circles..
4,645 Posts
I got a red Road ID last year for my wrist. Simple enough with few numbers to call. I added a line on it saying "No Allergies/Conditions".

So if they need to give me something they will hopefully just give it to me.

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
Rickcau said:
I am aware of the RoadID system, but several months ago a guy was telling me about a system that allow you to update your profile online with the route details that you are following. This type of system seems much better than what RoadID has to offer.

My wife is always asking me where I am riding and how to find me if she does not hear from me if I don't return within <X>hours. I have created route sheets that she can use, but having this info online would be much better.

Ideas/Comments?
I have a RoadID, but whatever method used is about fine WRT to info on an unconsious body. I'd rather not have something that relies on getting online, as that won't always be available when out on the road. Your primary concern is getting info into the hands of EMS, so they can notify your wife, or if you have any condition that would change how they might otherwise treat you.

Similarly, I'm not sure I see the benefit of having it posted for your loved ones. It's not as if they can take the PC out on the road with them, so they'll end up with a route sheet in any case. Probably simpler just to email an MMR to wifey as you head out the door, if you feel that way.

There's not a single soul in the universe that would care about where you were headed - at least not that would get the information off of your person. They'd have all the information they needed about where you were.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I use a wrist road ID, also carry a cell phone, but if I'm hit then the phone may be toast too.

for routes, I use mapmyride.com - I've uploaded most of my "standard" routes from my garmin to it so selecting one is quick. If I'm going on a long ride that may have alternate routes - I'll generally draw those in as well, rarely takes more than 15min and gives my wife a calming piece of mind so its worth it to me.

·
Registered
88 Posts
As an EMT and fellow roadie, I can assure you that 99.9 percent of EMS i know of will not be getting online to check out the personal website. In a case where you are unconsious and unresponsive our main concern is getting you to the hospital in a stabile condition and we will tell them we dont know of your allergies. The ambulances i have worked for dont have computers in them. If there are those out there that are EMS field and you have computers in your rig i apologize, i am only speaking for the EMS I work for and around. '

I recommend taking an ID and even tape a piece of paper with some personal info on it stating allergies and meds ( now that is helpful). I am about to get a road id of sorts. I'm just here trying to help if that case ever arrises that help is needed. God forbid.

Also a cell phone is very helpful with ICE, My wife makes me carry mine.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I have no allergies or ailments that would make any difference, so for me having the site would be more of an afterthought, the dog tag could hold all the basics. You can find double-sided ones for cheap as well...

·
Registered
88 Posts
Dont get me wrong... The site is a cool idea but i dont see how it would be beneficial to the health care community. I havent looked at the site yet so i dont know. But i would ask around with a DR or cops to see what they have to say. It seems to me that it would be more for family and friends to look at if they had any questions about your past medical history if heaven forbid your unconsious and/or unresponsive aka coma. Whats the site for the dog tags, i've never thought about getting those made for cycling.

·
I ride in circles..
4,645 Posts
twitch1 said:
I recommend taking an ID and even tape a piece of paper with some personal info on it stating allergies and meds ( now that is helpful). I am about to get a road id of sorts. I'm just here trying to help if that case ever arrises that help is needed. God forbid.
Hence why the last line of my wristband style RoadID says no allergies or conditions. :thumbsup:

Figure it's better than nothing!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts