Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having trouble finding information on my hubs. I need to put some new rims on them, but they do not show up for the spoke length at my LBS.

Front - FH-7700
Rear - HB-7700

Both are 28 hole, rear is 8 spd, Dura-ace hubs

I am left with trying to measure the spec's unless someone can help me find more info on these.

Thanks.

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
gatman said:
I am having trouble finding information on my hubs. I need to put some new rims on them, but they do not show up for the spoke length at my LBS.

Front - FH-7700
Rear - HB-7700

I am left with trying to measure the spec's unless someone can help me find more info on these.

Thanks.
Download

http://sheldonbrown.com/rinard/spocalc.htm

It will be in the data base.

TF

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
gatman said:

Front - FH-7700
Rear - HB-7700

Thanks.
If your LBS doesn't know, find another LBS. They should know and if they don't they should be able to use a vernier and the DT site or chart.

·
century rider
108 Posts
have that hubs

hi, recently built one, 28holes F/R on mavic open pros. the front is radial lace and used 281mm length while the rear is cross laced (2 or 3x?) using 298mm wheelsmith bladed spokes. you can go to dtswiss site, they have a spoke calculator if you want more to get more specific datas.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
battaglin said:
hi, recently built one, 28holes F/R on mavic open pros. the front is radial lace and used 281mm length while the rear is cross laced (2 or 3x?) using 298mm wheelsmith bladed spokes. you can go to dtswiss site, they have a spoke calculator if you want more to get more specific datas.
Be very wary of using DT site unless you're using DT spokes. Spocalc is most consistent.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Time to find a new LBS. You're going to be PAYING them to build you new wheels, no? You'd think the least they could do is measure the hubs.

I second the note on being wary of DT's calculator. They factor in the spoke stretch for each of their various guages.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
SDizzle said:
Time to find a new LBS. You're going to be PAYING them to build you new wheels, no? You'd think the least they could do is measure the hubs.
Well actually I will probably build them myself. Racial lacing will be a little new for me, but I am not that worried about it. If I can do 3x, I figure I can do the 2 and 0 cross.

The LBS looked them up in what every they use. He could not find a 7700 front in his list, just had the 7800. I have down loaded the XLS sheet and it does not show them either. I can find a FH-7700 9speed rear and a FH-7800 front hub (same as my LBS), but not what is on my hubs. So, I guess I will use this sheet and do some measuring to see what they match up to.

Thanks for the help.

Now all I need to do is figure out what rims I will use.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
gatman said:
Well actually I will probably build them myself. Racial lacing will be a little new for me, but I am not that worried about it. If I can do 3x, I figure I can do the 2 and 0 cross.

The LBS looked them up in what every they use. He could not find a 7700 front in his list, just had the 7800. I have down loaded the XLS sheet and it does not show them either. I can find a FH-7700 9speed rear and a FH-7800 front hub (same as my LBS), but not what is on my hubs. So, I guess I will use this sheet and do some measuring to see what they match up to.

Thanks for the help.

Now all I need to do is figure out what rims I will use.
Looks like you have the newest version of Spocalc which has had Dura Ace HB-7800 added. But instead of adding it theyve over written HB-7700. I have the older version which has the measurements for both. PM me your email and I'll send it to you. The hubs are different by 1mm or so, enough to mess up any calculations.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You have a pml!!

Thanks for everyone's help

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
gatman said:
I have down loaded the XLS sheet and it does not show them either. I can find a FH-7700 9speed rear and a FH-7800 front hub (same as my LBS), but not what is on my hubs. So, I guess I will use this sheet and do some measuring to see what they match up to.
Just measure them yourself anyway! Measuring hub dimensions is a two minute job at most, and very, very hard to screw up. I measure every hub I build with myself (unless I've built with that exact model before), and never trust a spoke calculator. Sometimes manufacturers from model to model change a flange location by a millimeter or so, and it's probably not at the top of their list to rush out and update Damon Rinard or DT Swiss. While it might not throw off your spoke length by a worrisome amount, you might as well get off on the right foot to begin with.

And for Chrissake, even if you're unsure, your LBS should know how to measure a hub, and not just brush you off because "it's not in their list."

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I agree.

As far as my LBS not seeming to give good service, they really do. It is just the fact that I am 2 1/2 hours away from them.

I guess LBS is not technically the correct term, just the shop that I get everything from.

I would get crap if I took it in to the shop that is closest to me and asked, because he knows that he will not be building the wheel.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Looks like you have the newest version of Spocalc which has had Dura Ace HB-7800 added. But instead of adding it theyve over written HB-7700. I have the older version which has the measurements for both. PM me your email and I'll send it to you. The hubs are different by 1mm or so, enough to mess up any calculations.
Do you still have this info?

·
wheelbuilder
2,220 Posts
7700 front hub
Flange diameter - 38mm
Center to center of flange - 35.5mm

7700 rear hub
Flange diameters - 44mm
center to left - 35mm
center to right - 18.9mm.

Those are my measurements.