Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for some road shoes in size 49 or 14us. I have checked Nashbar, Performance, and Ebay. I can find the $130-$230 shoes like Sidi, but was trying to find something cheaper. What would some other sources be that I could check? My LBS's don't carry anything even close to a 49.

Thanks for any help.....

·
Registered
727 Posts
i picked up a pair of nike stelvio's in size 48 on an online auction for $15 the other day. And thats in canadian dollars. retail was like $180. I usually wear 46/47 but couldn't pass up the price. they are a LITTLE bit too big, just by a milimetre, so i am experimenting with possibly some kind of homemade insert

·
Weed
1,037 Posts
aboyd said:
I am looking for some road shoes in size 49 or 14us. I have checked Nashbar, Performance, and Ebay. I can find the $130-$230 shoes like Sidi, but was trying to find something cheaper. What would some other sources be that I could check? My LBS's don't carry anything even close to a 49.

Thanks for any help.....

The Specialized website shows both 05 BG Comp Road Shoes in US size 14 for $80.

·
Registered
204 Posts
aboyd said:

Thanks for any help.....
I also wear size 14 sneakers, but my cycling shoes are a bit smaller than the conversion charts would suggest. First, as you may or may not know, cycling shoes are meant to fit pretty tight and be worn with thin socks (like DeFeet or SockGuy). When I went to buy my first pair of shoes, I was wearing thick cotton athletic socks, and I almost got size 49 Sidis until someone at the LBS told me about the "thin sock" thing. I got 48s, and although they felt great in the shop, even those ended up being a bit too big, as I soon noticed when my feet began slipping around when riding. (I now wear Specialized size 47.) Cycling shoes are supposed to be much tighter than running shoes -- but never uncomfortably or painfully so. Also, keep in mind that you don't bear much weight on your feet when cycling, so your feet don't expand as much as when standing/walking.

Specialized shoes run pretty large, so you might want to try on a Specialized 48 (their largest size) if any of your local stores carry them. They have plenty of less expensive models, if that's what you're after. (If you have a Supergo nearby, a lot of them have Specialized shoes at blowout prices, since they aren't carrying Specialized anymore now that they've been taken over by Performance.) Shimano also run a bit large, but not as large as Specialized. Sidis tend to fit on the small side.

BTW, be sure to try on lots of different brands. Since most brands don't offer half sizes larger than 46 or 47, it's very easy to be "between sizes" in certain brands (I'd be a perfect 47.5 in Sidi, if they made that size), so it's important to pick the right one. I would STRONGLY recommend not buying shoes online, as they all fit differently. Size conversion charts, especially, are next to useless.

Cheers,
Ari

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info

I thought I needed to get a pair of road shoes....for my road bike, but the more I think about it, my Sidi MTB shoes should be fine, right?

I have a pair in 49, and they are fine. I am useing Crank Bros egg beaters on both mountain and road bike, but I think I want to put a pedal on my road bike that has a little more platform. I am leaning towards the Candy because they are cheaper than the Quattro SL. But the Quattro SL looks nice and I can get them on Ebay for around $95 shipped.

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
Check the online places often--Diadoras in size 50: $40

I wear a size 50, U.S. 15, and I rode in running shoes or tennis shoes for about 20 years because NOBODY made bike shoes in my size. I did my first couple of centuries in Converse canvas sneakers.
The Internet has made things a lot easier. If you check online retailers like Nashbar and Performance (same company now) every few weeks, you'll occasionally find something besides Sidis in big sizes, and often they're on sale. I bought two pairs of Diadora MB shoes (forgot the model; might be Jalapenos) a year or two ago for $40 a pair, and I've worn them for everything since then. They look a little clunky, but you get way more than 20 percent of the performance of Sidis for 20 percent of the cost.
. Within the last week, I saw size 14 road shoes somewhere, probably one of the two above, for $99, I think it was, supposedly discounted from $159. You won't always find them, but if you check regularly, they do turn up.

·
Lets Go Hokies!!!
5,930 Posts
My husband is in the same 49/14 place you are. He just got a pair of PI Vagabond 2s that he uses for road biking. They are the first pair of shoes I've ever seen him order that actually fit the first time. He has a flat foot that is kinda narrow so most 14s are too wide for him, but these fit really well. Performance carries them and so does REI.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts