Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, new guy here. I am not a roadie, but an avid mtb'r. My wife is a fairly competitive triathlete and rides a several year old Trek 1000. The bike serves it purpose but is obviously not great. She was a swimmer from little tike to college graduation so that is where is does well in the tri's. Back to my question. She has some complaints about the bike and I am considering replacing some things such as the read der., casette, chain, and cables. It is all Sora right now. Can anyone suggest some upgrade parts that will be functional but not break the bank? I would much rather buy her a new ride but that's not in the budget just yet. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you very much.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
LukeTX04 said:
Hello everyone, new guy here. I am not a roadie, but an avid mtb'r. My wife is a fairly competitive triathlete and rides a several year old Trek 1000. The bike serves it purpose but is obviously not great. She was a swimmer from little tike to college graduation so that is where is does well in the tri's. Back to my question. She has some complaints about the bike and I am considering replacing some things such as the read der., casette, chain, and cables. It is all Sora right now. Can anyone suggest some upgrade parts that will be functional but not break the bank? I would much rather buy her a new ride but that's not in the budget just yet. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you very much.

IMHO sram rear casettes are an excellent upgrade they are light and relatively inexpensive, a pg-970 is what I use. As far as the rear der. a shimano 105 would be a good choice. And for a chain I also like SRAM. Hope this helps.
 

·
Spicy Dumpling
Joined
·
9,721 Posts
dperk789 said:
IMHO sram rear casettes are an excellent upgrade they are light and relatively inexpensive, a pg-970 is what I use. As far as the rear der. a shimano 105 would be a good choice. And for a chain I also like SRAM. Hope this helps.

Sora is 8 speed, you're talking 9 speed components. She'd at least need new shifters as well. Maybe the above with aero bars and barend shfiters.. But personally I'd just save up for a new bike. Upgrading from 8 to 9 speed will cost a good percentage of the price of a new bike.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,525 Posts
Vaughn's got it

VaughnA said:
Upgrading from 8 to 9 speed will cost a good percentage of the price of a new bike.
The best bet in situations like this is to keep the machine well maintained and replace things as they wear out. Save up for a new (could be used) bike. My bet is that you could get a used TT bike for not too much more than you would spend to upgrade this old bike. Prowl the classifieds and eBay.
 

·
You're Not the Boss of Me
Joined
·
7,746 Posts
LukeTX04 said:
Hello everyone, new guy here. I am not a roadie, but an avid mtb'r. My wife is a fairly competitive triathlete and rides a several year old Trek 1000. The bike serves it purpose but is obviously not great. She was a swimmer from little tike to college graduation so that is where is does well in the tri's. Back to my question. She has some complaints about the bike and I am considering replacing some things such as the read der., casette, chain, and cables. It is all Sora right now. Can anyone suggest some upgrade parts that will be functional but not break the bank? I would much rather buy her a new ride but that's not in the budget just yet. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you very much.

I agree with those who discourage you from investing dough in upgrading the Trek 1000. Better to sell it and buy her a new (or new to her) higher end bike.
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top