Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
planning to buid a new bike. i weight 260 pounds naked..
any suggestion on frame that would be stiff enough and comfy enough.. my first frame is a lightweight steel..its too flexy even though im only 152 lbs that time.. im not sure if carbon merida ride 4000 which i like can handle my weight.. not sure if there is a steel frame good for my weight..
any info would be highly appreciated..tnx :)

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
I've worked my way down from over 300lbs to just under 225lbs.

Along the way I've ridden (and still ride) a lot of bikes.

BMC GF-01
My first an sentimental favorite - over 12k miles and 50lbs lost riding this bike - sadly, no longer available new - replaced by the RoadMachine RM series - nice bikes, but not quite as fat-butt friendly

BMC SLR-01
stiff and unforgiving for long rides - sold

Norco Search Carbon
Dedicated gravel - excellent choice for all-road all around riding. Comfortable, stiff where it needs to be, and extremely durable.

Volagi Viaje Ti
This is currently serving as my commuter - full fenders and racks - but it's a GREAT bike, and if I had to keep just one - this would be my forever bike - it does everything well, including long days in the saddle.

Honestly, other than the team machine, which is just a light, stiff race bike, and not suited for your purposes, I could strongly recommend any of these. I think for a frame, just about any well engineered modern bike is going to support your weight. You could surely work with a custom frame builder (Ti or Steel) and get something very specific to you.

Alternatively, if you are wanting to ride for weight loss, you could save some money and just get a decent used bike until you get some of the weight off, then, when you are more fit (and light) invest in something a little nicer.

If I were you I would focus on a good set of durable wheels (lots of threads on this topic already exist over in the Wheels and Tires forum). For my purposes, I ended up with a set of 32h HED Belgium Plus rims laced to Chris King hubs with brass nipples (Chris King factory wheels). They have held up under my weight for more than 12k miles without even needing to be trued. Of course you can't really choose wheels until you know what bike they go one (disc brake or rim, thru axle or QR, etc...)

There are a ton of choices out there. The new gravel/all-road type bikes would be a great choice. Bigger tires, sturdier wheels, etc...

As far as comfort, go for something that will take a wider tire (32mm, or so). That's where the money is.

Edit: I've never ridden one, but I understand Lynskey Titanium Frames are available on EBay *really* cheap. If Titanium interests you, and you can find a model that will take a wide tire (32mm miniumum), that might be a good option.

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
At your current weight, I would buy a cyclocross bike, probably in aluminum.

The reason is, at your weight a 23 or 25mm tire, which is about all you can fit through the fork of a typical road bike, is too small a volume. I'd start with the stock tire that comes with the bike and as you lose weight, you can advance toward skinnier tires.

You don't mention a price range which is important. So I'd suggest an off the shelf aluminum framed bike because typically they're very stiff. Even if it isn't stiff enough for you, stiffness is over-rated and as long as you don't have handling/steering problems with it, it will be fine.

You may have to seek a cyclocross bike that will handle larger chainrings as you'll be riding it on the road. Your bike shop can assist you with any parts swaps.

·
is riding in MOPP4
695 Posts
The Volagi may not be available...see this thread: http://forums.roadbikereview.com/general-cycling-discussion/robert-choi-volagi-bikes-357160.html

I would consider a Surly Long Haul Trucker: Long Haul Trucker | Bikes | Surly Bikes or Cross Check: Cross-Check | Bikes | Surly Bikes

Rider weight limit is 300 pounds for both.

If you're looking for something that uses road calipers or disc brakes, I'd consider a Soma. The Smoothie is quite nice, but I could not find a rider weight limit. That being said, some folks weighing up to 290 pounds have posted on various forums that he have ridden these frames without issues. Frames | SOMA Fabrications

If you want to treat yourself to something nicer, consider a Gunnar. Custom Bicycle Frames from Gunnar Cycles USA

There are plenty of awesome frame makers out there, but I wanted to focus on some decent, and decently-priced, options. Once you're nice and trim and want to invest in something more over the top, you can do something like this 11 pound wonder: AX-Lightness Vial Evo, Etap Build - Fairwheel Bikes Blog

Or not.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
If you're looking for something that uses road calipers or disc brakes, I'd consider a Soma. The Smoothie is quite nice, but I could not find a rider weight limit. That being said, some folks weighing up to 290 pounds have posted on various forums that he have ridden these frames without issues. Frames | SOMA Fabrications

I have seen my weight go from 264 to 225. I've been riding my Soma Smoothie 6 years now, at those weights with no issues. The wheels have typically been Mavic Open Pro 36 spoke rear/32 front (both from Colorado Cycles), on 28mm tires. Have had no spoke or truing issues.

This is a great frame at a great price, IMO. As compared to a 2000 Lemond Victorie titanium I owned, the Soma has zero (or no discernable) frame flex in the bottom bracket and it's a comfortable and great handling bike.

Recommended.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
wow.. good input. as i like to sprint alot( for exercise reason) lol.. i would really like stiff frame.. an alloy frame sounds nice too.. thanks alot for the ideas guys..

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
weighing 260 the difference of a pound makes almost no difference as a percentage of total weight bike+rider. i'd look into either a steel or a titanium custom build from someone like a seven cycles.

both steel and titanium can be crafted into a stiff and comfortable frame. someone like seven , although there are many other good builders to choose from can tailor the bike to you dimensions and weight. an off the shelf bike will be built for someone of average weight to your height which won't be ideal.

·
is riding in MOPP4
695 Posts
Seven...they are great, but expensive. If you have the coin and the desire to spend $4k+ on a custom bike, then by all means do it. I would add the Spectrum Cycles is a very good alternative, as are IF, Moots, Alchemy, Vanilla/Speedvagen, etc. Just be prepared for the wait!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts