Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking into doing a cycling tour in Colorado this summer. Can anybody that's familiar with the area provide some feedback on these routes? I've never been out there so I have no idea which would be better. Also, if anyone has any experience with either tour, that would be helpful, too. Thanks.

Bicycle Tour of Colorado
- Fort Collins to Estes Park
- Estes Park to Granby
- Granby to Steamboat Springs
- Steamboat Springs to Walden
- Walden to Fort Collins

Pedal the Peaks
- Gunnison to Creede
- Creede to Pagosa Springs
- Pagosa Springs to Durango
- Durango to Telluride
- Telluride to Delta
- Delta to Gunnison

·
Power Napper
2,853 Posts
Rode BTC in '02

I had a very good time. The organization was good, aid stations were terrific, and except for one night's dinner the food was quite good. The BTC route that year was nearly the same as this year's Pedal the Peaks. Gunnison to Creede is a real shock to the system for a first day's ride. Slumgullion Pass is 9 miles of 7-12% grade, at 9,000-11,000 feet elevation. And that's after you've done 69 miles and a good amount of climbing to get out of Gunnison. Spring Creek Pass right after seems like a cake walk. It is a LONG first day. BTC went to Ouray and Montrose after Durango instead of Telluride and Delta. I think the Telluride route may be a bit easier climbing -wise, but is longer mileage.

I am doing BTC this year. I know the area well, but have never ridden a bike through it. Trail Ridge Road is about the highest you can ride in Colorado except for Mt Evans, I think. On paved roads at least. I expect this year's route to be a little easier than in 2002, but then I may be surprised. It is one day less riding (five instead of six), but then there are two 100 mile days not just one.

If you are coming from low land area, BTC might be better because the first day is short and that may make it easier to acclimate.

Quite frankly I don't think you can go wrong with either one. Colorado is amazing just about anywhere you go in the mountains, and both companies have several years of experience doing this sort of thing. Maybe the beer is better with BTC.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Colorado

tad said:
I'm looking into doing a cycling tour in Colorado this summer. Can anybody that's familiar with the area provide some feedback on these routes? I've never been out there so I have no idea which would be better. Also, if anyone has any experience with either tour, that would be helpful, too. Thanks.

Bicycle Tour of Colorado
- Estes Park to Granby
- Walden to Fort Collins

Pedal the Peaks
- Gunnison to Creede
- Durango to Telluride
- Telluride to Delta
- Delta to Gunnison
--------------------------------------------------------------

I live in Fort Collins and ride up to Estes Park every other weekend in the Summer. It is about 40-43 miles uphill the whole way but not too bad. Estes Park is a great town with awesome chocolate and candy (yum). Depending on the Route, it will likely go one of two ways: either all the way up HWY 34 into Estes, or you will take a hard right and you will go into Glenhaven. After Glenhaven is a 1.3 mile hill which is 14%...tough, but do-able. You;ll stay in Estes the night then go up over trail ridge road (all climbing for 20 miles) then it is all downhill into Granby. Granby is in the Frasier valley and is nestled right on a lake...nice spot. Granby to Steamboat will be a long day, I've done it before on one of the ride the rockies tours. Rollers but no major hills rolling through hot sulphur and kremmling into 'boat. From steamboat to Walden - you will ride up and over Rabbit Ears Pass which is a large mountain pass but relatively low in elevation in Colorado mtn pass standards. Rabbit Ears to Walden is a long stretch on high mountain plains with low elevation gain but likely to be very windy for 40+ miles. Walden is a weird mountain town with a lot of Moose. The ride from Walden back to Fort collins will be the best IMHO. You will climb Cameron Pass from Walden like 25 miles? and ride downhill all the way from the top of Cameron back to fort collins. 60 miles downhill the entire way. This will be a fun loop.

I've done several loops in the pedal the peaks rides mentioned around gunnison/Durango/Alamosa/ Salida. Durango to Telluride in the San Juans is amazing. I prefer the Northern CO route (greener) but the southwestern part of the state is amazing as well. Obviously, i'm more partial to the northern route because I live and ride this area all the time. Plus, riding through Rocky Mtn Nat'l Park is an experience all in itself.

If you have any other q's let me know.

·
$4000 bike - two bit legs
1,433 Posts
Pedal the Peaks

tad said:

Bicycle Tour of Colorado
- Estes Park to Granby
- Walden to Fort Collins

Pedal the Peaks
- Gunnison to Creede
- Durango to Telluride
- Telluride to Delta
- Delta to Gunnison

I did PtP last summer. Other than being sick to start the ride, I had a great time. The 2003 version of PtP did Estes Park to Granby, Granby to Steamboat...then into Wyoming eventually ending up in Loveland, Co where we started. Total miles: 530ish, 7 days total, 6 days of riding, one day off in Steamboat.

If you want, email me with specific questions. I'm running out the door so I don't have time for too much detail. Bottom line: PtP offers great routes, fantastic support, delicious food, small number of riders vs. BTC (400 vs 2000+) all for about the same cost. Once you look into the "add-ons" for BtC vs. PtP all inclusive, the cost is the same. My email is [email protected]

·
Call me a Fred
16,999 Posts
tad said:

Bicycle Tour of Colorado
- Estes Park to Granby
- Walden to Fort Collins

Pedal the Peaks
- Gunnison to Creede
- Durango to Telluride
- Telluride to Delta
- Delta to Gunnison
You can't go wrong with either one. Pick which part of the state you want to visit and go. Both areas have fantastic scenery and great cycling.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.