Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Tonight I installed a new set of ultegra shifters and derailleurs on my bike. This is my first experience with STI shifting. I'd always been old school up until now. Anyway, upon trying to adjust everything, it appears that the front shifter (a double) isn't pulling enough cable to shift from the smaller to the larger chainwheel. It's literally only pulling less than 1/8" cable through the shifters entire range of motion. I've poured over the crappy Shimano literature, but I've come up with nothing. When I initially move the large lever inboard, I hear a small click (trim adjustment?) but there is never a second louder click, which is what I would *assume* would happen. The lever just hits the end of its motion, and won't go any further.

Anyway, is there an adjustment or some hidden gotcha I'm missing here, or do I just have a bum shifter?

Please help.. I had big plans to go on an long ride this weekend, which will be impossible unless I can get this bike working.

Thanks!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Try loosening the cable, shift the small lever into the lowest gear--click it several times until the click kind of changes sound and feel, then pull it tight in the derailleur cable mount, and retighten the bolt. Also double check the cable routing that there's not something binding it, and make sure the cable housing is seated in the shifter and the cable guides on the frame. You might want to hold the derailleur end of the cable while you shift and see if it seems to be pulling enough cable before tightening it in the derailleur. But I bet your tightening it in the derailleur cable mount without it being shifted into the lowest gear.

You could have a bum shifter, but if it's new, I doubt it. I'm a Campy convert but still have a bike with Shimano DA and it's pretty good stuff. If you still can't get it to work, before springing for a new shifter, you might need to throw in the towel and take it to your LBS for some help. You might pay a few $$$, but you'll still get to ride this weekend.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pepe said:
Try loosening the cable, shift the small lever into the lowest gear--click it several times until the click kind of changes sound and feel, then pull it tight in the derailleur cable mount, and retighten the bolt. Also double check the cable routing that there's not something binding it, and make sure the cable housing is seated in the shifter and the cable guides on the frame. You might want to hold the derailleur end of the cable while you shift and see if it seems to be pulling enough cable before tightening it in the derailleur. But I bet your tightening it in the derailleur cable mount without it being shifted into the lowest gear.

You could have a bum shifter, but if it's new, I doubt it. I'm a Campy convert but still have a bike with Shimano DA and it's pretty good stuff. If you still can't get it to work, before springing for a new shifter, you might need to throw in the towel and take it to your LBS for some help. You might pay a few $$$, but you'll still get to ride this weekend.
I've done everything you've mentioned. I've completely freed the cable from the derailleur, and made sure the shifter was set for the smallest gear. With the cable pulled taut, pushing the shifter only pulls the cable about 3/16" (or the approx length of a small grain of rice).. Once the cable is installed and tensioned, using the shifter only moves the derailleur about 1/4" either way.

The whole kit is brand new, out of the box. I'm going to drag the bike to a LBS tomorrow and see if I can pay someone to take a quick look at it.

If anyone has any additional suggestions, please let me know!

Thanks

·
Registered
33 Posts
Similar advice to Phish;loosen cable from ft derailler and make sure the derailler is adjusted correctly over the inner chainring, then downshift by pushing inward using the the small inner sti shift lever(the lever that does not engage the brake) while pulling on the cable till it no longer clicks. You should now be "bottomed out" where the the shifter has reached its limit and now fasten the cable to the derailleur with tension on the cable and all should work now. As the cable stretches you can make minor adjustments for cable tension with the adjuster on the headtube or downtube. Same goes for the rear derailleur where you start with the chain on the smallest rear cog(where there is least tension on the cable--adjust the rear derailleur to align properly with with your small cog,click the rear shifter,again with the small inner shift lever while pulling on the cable til it stops clicking. Put tension on the cabe and attach to rear derailluer. Cable tension on the rear shifter is more critical than the front as in if the cable stretches the rear derailluer will not line up properly with the cogs. Use barrel adjuster located on the rear derrailuer or downtube. Hope that helps.Let us know what happens.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Phish said:
Anyway, is there an adjustment or some hidden gotcha I'm missing here, or do I just have a bum shifter?
I had a similar experience. My problem was that the barrel end of the shift cable was not properly seated in the shifter. It took quite a while for me to figure it out.

TT

·
Registered
41 Posts
In addition to the rest of the great advice you've already been given, I'd add that you should take a look at how you routed the cable as it connects to the front derailleur. There's a tab that seems like the cable should run under it. It's easy to confuse, and it seems intiutive. Resist the temptation to route it that way.

Instead, when viewed from the rear derailleur position (from the back), the cable should come into the front derailleur attach point at about an 8 o'clock position and exit at a 1 o'clock position. You'll see grooves in the attach point that correspond to this.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Phish said:
I've done everything you've mentioned. I've completely freed the cable from the derailleur, and made sure the shifter was set for the smallest gear. With the cable pulled taut, pushing the shifter only pulls the cable about 3/16" (or the approx length of a small grain of rice).. Once the cable is installed and tensioned, using the shifter only moves the derailleur about 1/4" either way.

The whole kit is brand new, out of the box. I'm going to drag the bike to a LBS tomorrow and see if I can pay someone to take a quick look at it.

If anyone has any additional suggestions, please let me know!

Thanks

OK.. dragged the bike to a shop this afternoon. 30 minutes and $40 later (big tip for the bike technician) we determined the problem. The shifter wasn't releasing or downshifting as it should, so he took everything apart and found that there was a small piece of plastic jammed into the cable cradle preventing the cable from seating properly. The cable slug was sticking out too far and restricting movement of the mechanism.

Thanks for all the input! It's nice to know that I can get quick (and friendly!) help on these forums. I appreciate it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.