Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2010 Fisher Cronus. Pretty sure its headset operates like any other modern headset.

Ive been out of the wrenching game for a long time. I'm a little confused about how these headsets are adjusted.

Do I understand this right....there is an expander bold deep down. Im guessing there is a manufacturer specific torque setting for that. Is that bolt used for play adjustment at all? Then you have your spacers and stem and top cap. The top cap has to be tightened (before the stem bolts) to get rid of the play in the headset correct? And then AFTER the top cap is tightened, you can tighten the stem bolts. AFTER that, theoretically you could then remove the top cap and the stem itself would be holding the headset at a set tension???

Thanks so much.

·
weird huh?
304 Posts
Or if it takes too long to read the article, you're basically right on. The 'expander nut' is a star fangled nut that expands upwards and outwards by being pulled by th top cap bolt.

The top cap bolt is used to set/adjust tension, and the hold is provided by the stem bolts. You are correct that you could remove the top cap after the stem is torqued down.

I read thru the Park Tool description......very informative on how to do it right.

Cheers

1 - 4 of 4 Posts