Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys 1 month into road biking with my new allez ( yea call me a fred if you want I don't care) I really need to improve my form and technique, what are some good online resources, i'm mostly having problems with my position and shifting up hills :cryin:

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
Ride more. Book learnin' is for sissies.
Ride with a group. If you find the right group, they will yell at you when you do stupid things. That's the best way of learning.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
Possibly, your bars are too low.
Possibly, your stem is too long........or too short.

·
Registered
5,671 Posts
here's a reply that actually tries to be helpful.

1. Positioning: for this, your best bet would be a professional fitting. Books will give standard formulas etc., but a good fitter will be a better investment than equipment especially given the comments you have about your positioning. Inquire around for a reliable fitting service - typically at one of the high end shops around or someone specializing in fitting for racers. Make sure it includes cleat setup as every contact point interacts with one another, and make sure (pre-service questions) that the fitter is going to base the fit on your specifics rather than simply plug in some formulas (this should be based on factors such as your flexibility, proportions, any accident/injury history etc).

2. Training. Standard books here are Friel's Training Bible. Probably best place to start in terms of thinking systematically about your training.

3. Nutrition. Carmichael's "Food for Fitness" is a good, basic book on nutrition that parallels the different periods of training (like in Friel's book). It's a good no-gimmick approach to nutrition.

4. Technique. Ride with a club/team. Ask guys on the team about techniques. Most racers love to show their knowledge and will gladly help out with race/riding technique. Again, better than trying to learn from a book.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Just ride more, youll try new things and figure out what works for you. A good way to get proper pedal form is to unclip one foot and use just the other, then switch. this of course is best done on a trainer but if you find a flat piece of road with no cars you can do it there too. As far as shifting up hills it just takes some time to figure out how to shift. You want to shift just before the hill gets steeper but not so soon as to lose momentum either.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Relax my friend! One month of road riding - you're still a baby. There are no shortcuts to riding fitness. Try to look at it like you're laying a foundation of fitness for the rest of your life. You've barely begun and just the fact that you've found this forum and post questions shows that you have desire and you are making progress. That said, since you've been riding for a month, your muscles will be getting stronger soon in a noticeable way. If you keep riding consistently, your form will improve - you won't be the one person that it doesn't work for. Find a group to ride with that has some people with more fitness and ability than you have now and ride with them. Don't get discouraged - we've all gotten our butts kicked as beginners - it's how you grow as a rider. The most important thing is to keep riding consistently. You're on your way man!

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
hollandbk said:
hey guys 1 month into road biking with my new allez ( yea call me a fred if you want I don't care) I really need to improve my form and technique, what are some good online resources, i'm mostly having problems with my position and shifting up hills :cryin:

How fat are you?

Are your legs shaved?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Thank you for starting this thread. I too am dying here. Non-roadie who two months ago purchased a fancy road bike, upgraded a few parts, got a professional fit, got new zooty riding gear and figured I could catch on fairly quickly given that I am in good cardio shape, physically fit and have been involved in sports all my life. Well, fast forward to this Sat & Sun morning rides and I am getting my butt kicked by everyone on every kind of bike:mtbs, kids on training wheels, grandmas and grandpas, people wearing flip flops...humiliation and me are now good friends...I was so discouraged I felt like hanging up the bike. I cannot believe how slow I am. But based on the responses here, I guess I'll keep pluggin' away. I was too shy to hook up with a riding group, (its hard to find a regular women's group ride here also) but it sounds like that may be the best way to start to improve...here's hoping they don't laugh me off the road...

·
Registered
105 Posts
The first thing you should do is to make sure you get fitted by someone competent in a reputable shop. You should enjoy riding a lot more after that, and then as you get miles under you you'll feel better and better.

·
Registered
252 Posts
good news.........cycling has a very encouaging learning curve, at first you see mega gains. Keep at it.
Fina a group to ride (push) with, will you get dropped by wrinkly 70 yr old ladies on 20 yr old bikes, yes.....fat guys on fancy CF bikes....yes. Are you willing to barf, if yes then you'll be flyin in no time.

ps, as far as fit goes, trust your body, it will tell you what it needs. Being comfortable and riding more is much better than looking like a tdf poser but sore or injured for days.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
scottyperkins said:
The first thing you should do is to make sure you get fitted by someone competent in a reputable shop. You should enjoy riding a lot more after that, and then as you get miles under you you'll feel better and better.
competent being the key word.
lots of shops, even otherwise good shops, have sh*tty fitters. ask around for recommendations. there usually are one or two people that everyone recognizes as good ones.
not that you can't get used to most any position, but you may as well start out with a reasonable fit.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Sojourner2005 said:
Thank you for starting this thread. I too am dying here. Non-roadie who two months ago purchased a fancy road bike, upgraded a few parts, got a professional fit, got new zooty riding gear and figured I could catch on fairly quickly given that I am in good cardio shape, physically fit and have been involved in sports all my life. ...
Yea, it surprises most folks who are in good shape that they can't just hop on a bike and fly. Riding a bike uses several different muscle sets, and most other sports just aren't going to hone all of them together. Even stationary bikes at the gym don't seem to workout the same set of muscles as actual outdoor riding.

A co-worker's husband recently took up road cycling, and this guy over 6 ft tall, a body-builder, but still had a good cardiovascular system, and he went through the same thing. It takes time. I feel like I'm just coming into a strong riding style, and this is my third summer of riding.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.