Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

You guys have been very helpful in the past identifying older frames for me that I get from consignment customers. Here's another one I'd like you to take a look at.

Can I assume that Della Santa built all the original steel lugged Lemonds?

It would appear that way but I'd like your opinion.

Also, any idea how old?

On feature you can't see in these pics is internal cable routing in the top tube.

Thanks a lot.

·
duh...
9,749 Posts
2wheelsport said:
Can I assume that Della Santa built all the original steel lugged Lemonds?

It would appear that way but I'd like your opinion.

that would be a rather bold assumption... why would you think that?

·
Registered
599 Posts
Billato Linea Telai is best known as a contract builder founded by Silvio Billato in 1954. One customer of Billato was Legnano, which sponsored a team with both Gino Bartali and Fausto Coppi.
Their emphasis has always been on the high end, lightweight sector of the market, and the firm built around 12,000 frames for Concorde, including the frames for Sean Kelly's PDM squad.
Billato also built the Greg Lemond bikes ridden by the Z and GAN teams as well as Lemond's own range of steel road bike frames .
Look- sponsored Chris Boardman rode a custom Billato frame for his hour record,as did Gilberto Simoni for his 2001 Giro bike.
The new line of Museeuw Carbon/Flax frames are produced by Billato in Italy.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you!

Thanks guys. I appreciate the input. This has always been a helpful board.

FatTireFred:I only mentioned the assumption I had because I've been told of the working relationship they had in the early years and I did not know how long or far-reaching it was. I'm in Northern California, so Della Santa is well known around here as well as Greg so both names get mentioned together quite often!:)

·
duh...
9,749 Posts
2wheelsport said:
Thanks guys. I appreciate the input. This has always been a helpful board.

FatTireFred:I only mentioned the assumption I had because I've been told of the working relationship they had in the early years and I did not know how long or far-reaching it was. I'm in Northern California, so Della Santa is well known around here as well as Greg so both names get mentioned together quite often!:)

Roland made GL's personal bikes... that is well known. he's a one-man shop, prob never had/will have the capacity for large volume. he only raised his bargain prices a few yrs ago

·
Registered
267 Posts
I also doubt that it was made by DS. I have a DS and met with Roland when I bought it. He showed me a NOS Lemond branded bike he built and the details shown in the pictures don't match up with what I remember. Nonetheless, looks like you got yourself a pretty nice frame.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.