Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a chain from an older bike (5 speed cassette, double crank, and downtube friction shifters) that I would like to replace. I know that I could put on a sram chain but I would like to identify the chain and see if I can find an exact replacement. The chain is gold in apperance (brass plated?), has W. Germany stamped on the even links, and has the letter G inside a U shape on the odd links. Any ideas as to the model and/or manufacturer of said chain? The icing on the cake would be if someone also know where to find an exact replacment!

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
No idea, but you might want to post in the vintage/retro forum, with a little more info (age/brand of bike?).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will do some checking into Wipperman. The bike is a Ross Professional Super Grand Tour cira late 70's early 80's if that helps. Will try and post pictures tonight.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input so far. I did some detail polish work on the chain in question and found the following:

- The symbol on the even links is actually a U inside a shield shape
- The odd links say W. Germany
- One of the links says 399

I tried taking some pictures but the size of the file, required to show the necessary detail, is larger than what I can upload.

As suggested earlier, I will post this same information on the vintage/retro forum.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts