Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am looking for a good quality retro road bike. I feel it's time to park the car and bike it. I found a Peugeot for sale that the gentleman CLAIMS is only one step down from the "Peugeot race team bike's of its era". That would be a PX without the gold colored brakes, but there are more questions. He was told it was from the 70's and by the decals it appears he is right. However, I don't see many online that are from the 70's and do not have chrome on the bottom half of the front fork. The seat is obviously not original and the wheels are off of a 90's trek touring bike. Besides that, I cannot figure out what year or make it is. I'm fairly confident it's not a PX or PY. I have looked through several catalogs online, and I can't seem to ever pin down a year or model. Please help, I can't seem to get the pictures of the front/brakes or the center post to rotates sorry. View attachment 278767 View attachment 278768 View attachment 278769 View attachment 278770 View attachment 278771 View attachment 278772 View attachment 278774 View attachment 278776 View attachment 278773 View attachment 278775

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
It is a beauty all right but French bikes of that era use "French" threading and frame tube diameters. Replacement parts are getting very hard to find.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
It's a 74 to 79 model, and I would narrow down further by guessing it's a 79 UO10, but it could be a PKN10E if the color of the bike is blue rather then the black as it appears on my monitor.

·
Hide Age and DOB
834 Posts
Based on the decals I'd say 1976-1978 PX10LE. I would not sweat on particular component especially handlebars; Peugeot was renown for switching components depending on availability, so they often did not match the catalog info. Peugeot also changed decals often, so they are a better bet for dating..

·
Registered
105 Posts
Per the Reynolds frame decals (with the slanted "531"), it's all 531 tubing on the frame, which includes all stays and fork legs = Primo frame from that era. Lower model frames usually had just the main three tubes in 531 tubing and the rest in high tensile carbon steel. That bike's defintely a very good catch, especially as it looks like it's in great condition!

Chombi

·
Registered
3 Posts
My guess is PX10 1976 or 77. The decals fit, and the crank is not the same as the multi drilled crank of 1978. The bike is a good classic high quality ride if the frame fits, wear it!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.