Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone recognize or can identify the builder that created this seat stay wrapping up the seat lug. The bike has no other markings. Has any one see this before? Any clue as to what I might have? Is there anything else I could look for?

Thanks
Ian

· Decrepit Member
1,813 Posts
This seat stay treatment is often called "partial-wrap" or "semi-wrap", and the advantage is more brazed surface area, which makes for a stronger joint. Schwinn used this treatment on the higher end late eighties Greenville. MS built frames like the Circuit, Peloton, and Tempo. Lots of other builders also use this treatment in both production and custom bikes. It is not uncommon.

Curt Goodrich describes the treatment HERE in his blog.

Tim Paterek shows the partial wrap and the full wrap seat stay treatments in his framebuilding book, "The Paterek Manual".

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thats great information.

I don't have a picture of bracket shell and the fork crown but I will get one. I have attached some photos that I do have if this helps anyone.

Thanks everyone this is really exciting!

Ian

· Registered
87 Posts
looks like an American built frame to me.

Except for the chrome. There was an American builder that used this style back in the '70s when there really weren't very many American custom builders. But the chrome argues against that to some degree. My memories of that time are rather faded.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.