Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
What the what???
12,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks. I am thinking of purchasing the bike pictured below for either a restoration or possible SS conversion. I checked the Vintage Trek site and if I'm interpreting it correctly, based on the serial number this would be an '82 Trek model 613 or 614. Does that sound right? If so, anyone have any info on this particular model?

·
What the what???
12,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply. The seller is asking $75 so I figure as long as the other side isn't riddled with cancer, I can't go too wrong.

·
Banned
987 Posts
Your right on the money with the ID, not quite a 620 or 720 but still very nice. I would pay $75 for that Trek all day long.

If you look at the catalog scans on the Vintage Trek website you might be able to pin point the exact model.

·
What the what???
12,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, mtnroadie. The scans on VT helped me narrow down to the 613 or 614. But I guess both models were made with pewter frames with gunmetal decals. This is my first foray into the retro bike world so I'm learning as I go.

I'm also trying to get a sense of the size based on the picture and what it would roughly equate to compared to cm measurements on more modern frames. I'm guessing 52 or 54cm? If anyone with better eyes than mine can venture a guess, let me know.

·
Banned
987 Posts
Sure thing.

Yeah I'm 99% sure its a 52cm. Slack touring geometry, due to that and the fact that its a 531 steel frame it will ride very nicely. Not the quickest acceleration, but oh so smooth. That rear wheel is pretty far back making for a comfy ride but not ideal for a single speed.

I find that geometry and top tube legth are far more important when looking at bikes. I am guesing the top tube on that bike is about 53.5ish cm. Looks like a 90 -100mm stem which is about what I like on my bikes with 53.5cm tt and I am about 5"7.

Should make for a nice project.

·
What the what???
12,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks again for the expertise. I'm 5'9 so I'm guessing size won't be too much of an issue. I plan to pick up the bike tomorrow, but it's over an hour away, so I'm trying to get the obvious "deal breakers" out of the way before I hop in the car.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.