Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Riding towards Delmarva.
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two bikes, 1.5 year old Shimano Ultegra road pedals on both, Sidi Genius 4 shoes with 10,000 miles on them.

One bike started to get the dry squeak which everyone "knows" is a worn out cleat. I replaced the cleat and at the same time backed out the cleat bolts with a dab of Phil's. Cleaned the shoes, made sure that plate on the bottom of the Sidi's was tight.

New cleats now, same dry squeak, on BOTH bikes. I don't get it. Is something on the shoe permanently worn that I'm not seeing? On the Sierra Century yesterday I stopped and made sure the cleats were totally clean, and did the same thing with the contact area on the front of the pedals, they were spotless. A little grease and the squeaking was gone, but quickly returned.

That dry, "Look-style" squeak everyone knows and loves.

I'm sure hoping not to have to replace the shoes. Am I missing something?

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
Look cleats no longer squeak

The new nylon white/red cleats i bought this year are quiet. I use Look pedals. I think I would coat evrything that is a connection contact point on the shoes with a silicone lube or vaseline and see if that helps.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Could also be the shoes...

I get some squeak from the Lorica on my Sidi's. I have tried most things, but the best thing has been Armor All around the tongue where the "leather" rubs together.

I now run Speedplays, but for years rode Looks. I found that parrafin did the trick. You can buy it at the grocery cheap (a $1 or two) for a box. Normally used for canning or making candles. I just rub the wax liberally on the pedal surface and the cleat surface every 3-4 rides. Took care of the squeak.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.