Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the weather grows warmer my previously copious sweating becomes even more so. I mean I sweat a lot (I drink a lot of water too so I'm okay there). My problem is the hardware on my bike's front end is starting to rust, or corrode. The stem fasteners, front derailieur (I never can spell that) fasteners etc.

Does anyone know of a source of stailess or even titanium fasteners that are shaped and sized for bicycle components?

Am I the only one this happens too?:confused:

Thanks,

· Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
I've taken to wiping off problem areas after every ride, and I wax my bike every cleaning. It's steel with chrome lugs and I haven't had any issues after I started doing that.

Not sure how I stack up to you in regards to sweating though. It does drip off my face and arms when it's 80+ ...

· Registered
453 Posts
For just bolts and stuff your local Ace hardware (or similar) store will have the selection of fasteners you need. For more specialized components you my have to go to a machine shop, but they can definetly make you what you need (won't be cheap though).

· Registered
150 Posts
tubafreak said:
For just bolts and stuff your local Ace hardware (or similar) store will have the selection of fasteners you need.
I have the same sweating problem, and I went down to the local hardware store and bought matching stainless steel, metric socket head cap screws for the stem and bars.

You shouls also consider removing vulnerable fasteners and cotaing them lightly with a good water proof grease for a small measure of protection. You'll have to repeat that, of course.

On the other components, especially the headset, I really tried to be diligent about re-packing the bearings every 1k to 2k miles, but I still went through three Campy Chorus headsets in a season adn a half before I gave up and went for a different design (FSA). Not sure that will be better, but the FSA has cartridge bearings (so a bit more moisture protection), and anything would be better than the design of the Campy headset in terms of keeping moiture out of the bearings.

I naver had probelms with the FD, but I'm pretty good about cleaning the bike, including using an aircompressor to blow out the water after I rinse the bike off. (Sounds extreme, but trust me, it works, and really speeds the process... Well, OK, -- that's a rationalization. I guess it's just extreme.)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.